Running Vivado on Red Pitaya

Share it with others! So what you are up to do these days?
mikepetrillo

Running Vivado on Red Pitaya

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 am

Hi,

I have been trying to load the Xilinx tools onto the red pitaya and run into an error that the o/s is 32 bit. However in the documentation the following was stated -

Red Pitaya is developed on Linux (64bit Ubuntu 16.04), so Linux is also the only platform we support.

Are we supposed to only run the Xilinx tools on a host computer? I thought we could run them on the red pitaya?
The ARM processors are 32 bit, so if the tools are meant to run on the red pitaya is there a 32 bit version of 2017.1 vivado sdk?

The images that I have loaded onto the SD card are 32 bit systems, can we upgrade to 64 bit?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am throwing in the towel on this one, even had a hard time searching topics since the keywords I had were too common.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Mike Petrillo

ayarema

Re: Running Vivado on Red Pitaya

Post by ayarema » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:20 am

Keep in mind i cant compile the FPGA bit stream yet so my advice isnt perfect. But i can tell you for sure that yes you need a host computer running AMD or Intel processor to have the Vivado tools running. A way of doing it is to download Virtual Box and create a linux 64bit Virtual machine. From there you should be able to install Vivado on it and do the development.

mikepetrillo

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:34 am

Thanks for the advice. Once I get Vivado up and running I should be okay creating bit files - in case you need some advice.

Another question I had is when loading various libraries I get a lot of can't find package errors. Do you know which VM should be loaded?

Thanks again.

Mike

ayarema

Post by ayarema » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:44 am

mikepetrillo wrote:Thanks for the advice. Once I get Vivado up and running I should be okay creating bit files - in case you need some advice.

Another question I had is when loading various libraries I get a lot of can't find package errors. Do you know which VM should be loaded?

Thanks again.

Mike
This would be where id start in your position. http://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/late ... ystem.html

mikepetrillo

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:55 am

I think I found the notes for creating a virtual box

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

but i get the following errors -

E: Unable to locate package virtualbox-5.1
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'virtualbox-5.1'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'virtualbox-5.1'

I also get the following - sudo: unable to resolve host rp-f04749

Any thoughts?

Mike

ayarema

Post by ayarema » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:12 am

mikepetrillo wrote:I think I found the notes for creating a virtual box

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

but i get the following errors -

E: Unable to locate package virtualbox-5.1
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'virtualbox-5.1'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'virtualbox-5.1'

I also get the following - sudo: unable to resolve host rp-f04749

Any thoughts?

Mike
Ive only used Virtual Box on a Windows host. If you already have a host with linux you could try setting up another partition to run Ubuntu if it isnt Ubuntu already. This cant be on the Red Pitaya, needs to be on Intel or AMD based Laptop/Desktop.

mikepetrillo

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:32 am

thanks, i thought the virtual machine was emulating an AMD processor using the dual core ARM processors. I was running into issues with the iso and deb files anyway. would be nice to get a clear picture on where the vivado runs, i thought it was meant to run on red pitaya.

mikepetrillo

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:42 am

ayarema wrote:
mikepetrillo wrote:Thanks for the advice. Once I get Vivado up and running I should be okay creating bit files - in case you need some advice.

Thanks again.

Mike
This would be where id start in your position. http://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/late ... ystem.html

This was where i started - I will run through it again but i keep getting the following errors -

root@rp-f04749:~# sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32stdc++6
sudo: unable to resolve host rp-f04749
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package lib32z1
E: Unable to locate package lib32ncurses5
E: Unable to locate package lib32bz2-1.0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'lib32bz2-1.0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'lib32bz2-1.0'
E: Unable to locate package lib32stdc++6
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'lib32stdc++6'

ayarema

Post by ayarema » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:48 am

mikepetrillo wrote:
ayarema wrote:

Thanks again.

Mike

This was where i started - I will run through it again but i keep getting the following errors -

root@rp-f04749:~# sudo apt-get install lib32z1 lib32ncurses5 lib32bz2-1.0 lib32stdc++6
sudo: unable to resolve host rp-f04749
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package lib32z1
E: Unable to locate package lib32ncurses5
E: Unable to locate package lib32bz2-1.0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'lib32bz2-1.0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'lib32bz2-1.0'
E: Unable to locate package lib32stdc++6
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'lib32stdc++6'
Again you shouldnt be doing this on the RedPitaya. You need another device like a laptop or a desktop and install linux on that.

mikepetrillo

Post by mikepetrillo » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:01 am

okay thanks. if that is the case then it is straightforward to have vivado on a host system. i guess that has been my biggest issue with this, it was not clear to me whether it needed to be on the development board or on the host. At least I learned a bunch on installing deb and iso files, and setting up SD cards, etc.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie