Strange DAQ measurements

Tell us how your experiment is running with Red Pitaya
kerrmit

Strange DAQ measurements

Post by kerrmit » Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:29 pm

Hi,

I'm using the RP (stemLAB 125-10) as a DAQ system for acquiring data from pipe leak using an ultrasonic transducer. The RP is controlled via SCPI using a python script running on a laptop, ultimately the goal is to measure the RMS of a fixed number of samples. Right now the script acquires a buffer worth of data points at a decimation of 64 without a threshold.

I'm getting all sorts of strange behaviour in the acquired signals and I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. It's probably easiest for me to show you what I mean:

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B :

Exhibit C:

Exhibit D:

D shows what would be an 'expected' recording, I believe this was recorded using a pre amplifier. However, even with the pre amplifier more often than not the recordings would contain the strange behaviour seen in the other recordings. Notice in B at 8e-3 seconds the signal changes completely and shows what I would have expected to measure, it's much more similar to D.

Note: C was recorded without the leak running.

My first thought was that it was a grounding issue but from my research I couldn't see how to properly ground a RP. I'm not sure if its clear from the photos but the calibration is out of whack, I was planning on just applying an offset to the acquired signal rather than going through the rigamarole of doing it properly (I'm unfamiliar with the process and the calibration equipment).

I understand that the stemLAB 125-10 is a much older model so I plan on re-running the tests with a 125-14. I should mention I tested two different 125-10's to see if one of them was broken but got similar results on both, they were both shoved away in a cupboard so it may well be that they were both broken.

If anyone has any advice that would be really appreciated because I'm completely out of ideas now.

I'm a beginner at this sort of stuff so hopefully someone with a bit more experience could give me some support. Please let me know if there's any further information I can provide.

Cheers,
Jamie.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: Strange DAQ measurements

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:41 pm

Hello Jamie,

Thank you for writing on the forum.

I am almost positive you also wrote to the Red Pitaya support email.

I have a couple of questions to provide more relevant feedback:
What are the requirements of the project? How fast do you need to capture data?
What Red Pitaya OS is installed on your Red Pitaya?

Here is a link to the example code, please try to use it as an example and build upon it:
https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... l#examples

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie