Communication between PS-PL: Send trigger and send/read data

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
carlos.e.teixeira

Communication between PS-PL: Send trigger and send/read data

Post by carlos.e.teixeira » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to implement a basic application with my Red Pitaya using the fast analog input.
I would like to start the acquisition after a trigger signal coming from the linux side, through a c-code for instance.
After that, the acquired data must return to the linux side for processing.
Finally, based on the results obtained, I would like to send some digital signals to the GPIO (located in the on-board expansion connector E1.)

I already know that this communication - between Linux and FPGA (in other words, between PS and PL) - is performed by AXI interfaces. Also, I know that to read and send data or commands, it is necessary to map the memory (I supposed that after reading Anton Potočnik's tutorial (http://antonpotocnik.com. I take this opportunity to congratulate him for his posts.

My questions are...
1) Which is the minimum project on Vivado? I mean, which modules/IPs are necessary for this purpose? I know it seems a dummy question, but I have some difficulties concerning AXI Interfaces. I keep reading, but I'm still in doubt.

2) How can I implement this communication in the PS side, through a simple C-code. How can I send the trigger signal, read the acquired data and send some digital values to GPIOs?

If my questions take so much time, could you recommend any tutorial/document (e.g., video, book, etc.) to read?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any inconvenience!

Nils Roos

Re: Communication between PS-PL: Send trigger and send/read

Post by Nils Roos » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:50 pm

Hi Carlos,
1) Which is the minimum project on Vivado? I mean, which modules/IPs are necessary for this purpose? I know it seems a dummy question, but I have some difficulties concerning AXI Interfaces. I keep reading, but I'm still in doubt.
The communication between a C program and the FPGA modules is handled over the AXI GP0 master interface. The HDL files involved (for the project 'classic') are:
  • fpga/rtl/interface/axi4_if.sv
  • fpga/rtl/interface/sys_bus_if.sv
  • fpga/rtl/axi4_slave.sv
  • fpga/rtl/red_pitaya_pll.sv
  • fpga/prj/classic/rtl/red_pitaya_top.sv
  • fpga/prj/classic/rtl/red_pitaya_ps.sv
  • IP processing_system7
2) How can I implement this communication in the PS side, through a simple C-code. How can I send the trigger signal, read the acquired data and send some digital values to GPIOs?
The RP api (api/rpbase/src/*) does all these things, so you could either use it or look into it for 'inspiration'.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie