My first FPGA design

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
tsitsimp

My first FPGA design

Post by tsitsimp » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:11 pm

Hello,

So, I want to make a design that requires no software; Feed the ADC with 1MHz sine wave, average the signal and feed it to the dac, which is connected to my oscilloscope. The block design I made is attached. Everything runs with a 50 MHz clock. Creating the wrapper and output products, and up to the implementation stage everything is ok, but the bitstream is not generated because it says some ports must be specified to avoid contention, regarding the DAC IP

Code: Select all

ERROR: [DRC 23-20] Rule violation (NSTD-1) Unspecified I/O standard - 18 out of 148 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of user assigned specific value 
Then it says the potential risks of that, a tcl command that overrides this, stressing that it is not recommended and then it states problem ports to be : dac_dat [13:0], dac_wrt, dac_sel, dac_clk, dac_rst

Anyone please could explain what is happening? And also is my design correct as I have perceived it should work?

Johnny
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pavel

Re: My first FPGA design

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:17 pm

Hi Johnny,

The ddr_clk port should be connected at a clock twice faster than the main clock. The adc_0/aclk port should be connected to the clock coming from ADC. I can't explain the error message.

Here is a link to a very simple Vivado 2016.3 project with ADC directly connected to DAC:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5fy49wae6xwx ... c.zip?dl=1

This project can generate a bitstream file without any error messages.

Best regards,

Pavel

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Feed the ADC with 1MHz sine wave, average the signal and feed it to the dac, which is connected to my oscilloscope.
To average the signal, the easiest solution would be to use the FIR Compiler IP core provided by Xilinx. For example, setting filter coefficients to '0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 0.2, 0.2' would average every five samples.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Regarding the error message, you probably did not provide constraints definitions where you bind the dac_* output signals to specifically configured device pins.

amin

Post by amin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:05 am

Hi Pavel,

I have been trying your IP block and i got signal response in my DAC1. Here is the output signal as attached below.
[img]
20171125_153754edit.jpg
[/img]

but i still not get signal response when i add fir_compiler in IP block.
[img]
photo_2017-11-25_16-41-30.jpg
[/img]
[img]
photo_2017-11-25_16-41-43.jpg
[/img]

is there any mistake in my IP block of fir_compiler?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pavel

Post by pavel » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:32 am

is there any mistake in my IP block of fir_compiler?
The "Filter Options" tab looks OK.

What is in the "Channel Specification" and "Implementation" tabs?

"Number of Paths" should be set to 2. "Input Sampling Frequency" and "Clock Frequency" should be set to 125 MHz.

I'd also suggest to set "Output Rounding Mode" to "Convergent Rounding to Even" and "Output Width" to 16.

amin

Post by amin » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:28 am

Pavel,

Thank you for your answer.
I have been using your setting:
"Number of Paths" should be set to 2. "Input Sampling Frequency" and "Clock Frequency" should be set to 125 MHz.
I'd also suggest to set "Output Rounding Mode" to "Convergent Roun
and it is work well.

The next problem is i cannot get output signal from DAC1 when using coefficient FDAtool Matlab .
I am still confused about setting frequency sampling in FDAtool Matlab and FIR compiler.
This is step by step my configuration when using FDAtool matlab and FIR compiler:
Lowpass filter:
fpass= 11 kHz
fcutoff= 12kHz

[img]
fdatool.PNG
[/img]
From this FDAtool setting, i got "Num" file that it comes from "File/Export"
[img]
File-export.PNG
[/img]
[img]
Numcoefficient.PNG
[/img]
This "Num" file for use in coefficient vector in FIR compiler.
[img]
photo_2017-11-27_14-45-36.jpg
[/img]
photo_2017-11-27_14-45-57.jpg
thanks in advance,

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie