What IOSTANDARD for using IOBUFDS on digital IO?

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
Skillers

What IOSTANDARD for using IOBUFDS on digital IO?

Post by Skillers » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I want to use IOBUFDS on the digital IO pins (on the extension connectors). These currently have the IOSTANDARD set to LVCMOS33, which is not compatible with differential signals. I am not sure which IOSTANDARD to switch to to have IO capable differential pins on this connector, does anyone know?

Thanks

Nils Roos

Re: What IOSTANDARD for using IOBUFDS on digital IO?

Post by Nils Roos » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:43 am

There's a problem there. All available differential IO-standards have voltage references of 2.5V or lower (LVDS_25, DIFF_HSTL_II_18, ...), but other ports on the IO bank where the GPIOs are located have 3.3V, and you can't mix voltages references within one bank. So there is no differential standard that you can use for the GPIOs. Among the other things on bank 35 is the DAC, so changing the other ports to fit a differential standard is out of the question.

Skillers

Post by Skillers » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:29 am

Hmm, thanks for the info.

I've seen it claimed (e.g. here) that the digital IO is capable as running as differential pairs, but this is apparently not the case? Or is it that differential digital IO is available from the Linux side, but not the FPGA side?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:20 pm

I've seen it claimed (e.g. here) that the digital IO is capable as running as differential pairs
Indeed, the architecture diagram mentions differential capability for the GPIOs. I guess nobody checked if it is actually possible when the diagram was created, and nobody updated the diagram once it became clear that it's not. The listed device specs don't have that unfortunate mistake, though.
The daisy-chain signals are capable of differential operation, so you've got four pairs at least.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie