Which Xilinx ISE Version to use?

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
microwavejoe

Which Xilinx ISE Version to use?

Post by microwavejoe » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Newbie question:

I want to store large ADC snapshots of multiple RP's all running off a common clock, triggered by an external pulse on the low speed IO, and then be able to modify the collected data on a PC and then reverse the process, uploading the processed data to each of the multiple RP board memories and then play it out the synchronized DAC's of multiple boards off the common clock, generating DAC output on receipt of a trigger pulse.

Thanks to everyone, most of the needed efforts have previous efforts, and wondering what is the best development environment for the Xilinx ISE, since all previous efforts seem to be a mix of Xilinx ISE versions:

Large ADC snapshots to DDR using rp_remote_acquire and ddr_dump.bin done in Xilinx 2015.4
(https://forum.redpitaya.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=317 )

Multiple RP running off the same clock Xilinx ISE 2016.4
https://forum.redpitaya.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1673

and the Red Pitaya git hub is now at Xilinx 2017.1

Should I just start with 2017.1 and try to synthesize each example to see what breaks and then try to merge them?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

tknopp

Re: Which Xilinx ISE Version to use?

Post by tknopp » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:08 pm

I would be interested in a very similar scenario. What I would need is that that the ADC of the different RedPitayas are synchronized. So same clock and one trigger that synchronizes the ADC.

I have basically implemented this on the CPU with 64 decimation. But I would love to achieve 16 or 8 decimation with that setup. Unfortunately I have no FPGA experience, just C.

jeanminet

Post by jeanminet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:03 pm

what is the best development environment for the Xilinx ISE, since all previous efforts seem to be a mix of Xilinx ISE versions
I think you mean Xilinx Vivado.
Xilinx ISE is the ancestor of Vivado and is only used for low-end devices like the Spartan.
The best development environment is probably the last version of Vivado, but you may have a little less bug with the previous one.

microwavejoe

Post by microwavejoe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Yes sorry, Vivado, not ISE, showing my age of when I last did this. Ok will give Vivado 2017.1 a try and see what happens.

Thanks!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie