Continous Acquisition - comunity projects and future plans

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
jmoederl

Continous Acquisition - comunity projects and future plans

Post by jmoederl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:38 am

Hello

i like the redpitaya because it can be a quite a powerfull tool if utilized correctly, but what this project really lacks is documentation.

I'm trying to implement a continous recording into a ringerbuffer (with 20MSamples size), ready to be save onto the SD card. i found nils roos ddrdump project which seems to that (and much more) but it requires a modified linux kernel and other stuff which looks quite complex. also there is the AXI_ADC example (which seems also to be from nils roos) which uses the AXI bus in order to implement the ringbuffer. but does this example also need a modified FPGA image and/or the modified linux kernel? if so what is the main difference between the two?

or is there another way to implement this functionality? i read that you are working on a better implementation of the SCPI server, does this also include continous recording into a bigger buffer?

also it is really hard to tell the differences between different OS versions - is there any documentaion on what changed from one version to another (API, FPGA Image ect.) and what is planned for the next release?

Thanks in advance,
Jakob

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: Continous Acquisition - comunity projects and future pla

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:58 am

Hi,

here is a list to our documentation,
  • STEMlab documentation - our main document
  • FPGA examples - FPGA examples for Red Pitaya. It starts from very basic descriptions and ends up with some advanced projects like SDR and laser contorl.
We are currently not supporting continuous recording to the system RAM, and it is not planned for the new SCPI either.
However we also offer services in which case we could prepare modification suited to your needs.

kind regards Red Pitaya team

jmoederl

Post by jmoederl » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:36 pm

Thank you. i already got the continous recording done using a modifyed version of nils roos rp_remote_acquire example.

it seems your documentation does exists but is hidden very well, since i was unable to find it on my own via google and your website. maybe you should invest some time into making it more accessible and/or unify it instead of having it spread over multiple readthedocs subdomains...

Thank you for the FPGA example link anyways, i'll work on increasing the resolution via oversampling now.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,

thank you for your comment, we are aware of the issue. We are working on a new web page, where this issue should be addressed.

kind regards, Red Pitaya team

koala

Post by koala » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:10 am

I also used axi_adc.c for continuous acquisition. How4ever, there is something really strange going on. Basically, we got to get it working nicely on an older Red Pitaya from 2015, but it won't work properly on the new one we bought this year in May. What means not working? It means the data coming out of the buffer looks like the trigger is still waiting (so no actual data from the ADC). I tried various things, including writing the complete image from the old RP to the new one, including usage of the same axi_adc code, changing the PRE_TRIGGER_LENGTH, etc. Here is an image: Image acquired with the old RP. With the new one it jus looks like from 0 to 40000, which was the PRE_TRIGGER_LENGTH. Has anyone any thoughts? Thank you!

Here is the image link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4mc1jvvufucwy ... al.mp?dl=0

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie