New User: Setting up Pavel's Development Machine

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
JPCoetzee1

New User: Setting up Pavel's Development Machine

Post by JPCoetzee1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 am

I'm setting up a VirtualBox Development Machine exactly as described by Pavel here: http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya ... t-machine/ but I'm stuck at "./xsetup" with an X11 error:

"ERROR: Installer could not be started.
No X11 DISPLAY variable was set..."

So I type "export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0" and on my Windows desktop start XLaunch with default settings. Then I re-type "./xsetup" and get a different error:

"ERROR: Installer could not be started.
Could not initialise class sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment"

I feel like I'm nearly there but there's an intermediate step missing. I need to run something on the VBox or Windows or both, which pipes the graphical output from the VBox to the Windows environment.

Can anybody help?

many thanks

pavel

Re: New User: Setting up Pavel's Development Machine

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:09 am

I feel like I'm nearly there but there's an intermediate step missing. I need to run something on the VBox or Windows or both, which pipes the graphical output from the VBox to the Windows environment.
The missing step is probably in the 'Accessing the virtual machine' section. If you already have Xming installed, then X11 forwarding should be enabled in your SSH client.

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am

I've added a phrase about X11 forwarding to my notes.

JPCoetzee1

Post by JPCoetzee1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 am

pavel wrote:The missing step is probably in the 'Accessing the virtual machine' section. If you already have Xming installed, then X11 forwarding should be enabled in your SSH client.
SSH client on the Windows Desktop? If I use Putty or KiTTY, which Host Name and Port do I use? Do I not need to install anything else on the VBox Ubuntu?

In VBox Ubuntu when I type "ifconfig" I see "eth0 inet addr:10.0.2.15". I can ping 10.0.2.15 from the Ubuntu command line, but not from the Windows command line of the host. Is this relevant? Anything to do with the Network adapter settings in Virtualbox?

Thanks for your swift reply!

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:02 pm

There should be eth1.

I don't remember why but looks like I deleted a related command from the autoconfiguration script with the last commit:
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... e82d7a7dde

Probably, Ubuntu automatically discovers interfaces and adds them to the configuration file.

BTW, have you activated Adapter 2 in VirtualBox?

If so, then I'd suggest to edit /etc/network/interfaces and to add the following lines:

Code: Select all

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:08 pm

I've just tested my instructions for the Ubuntu installation. The eth1 interface isn't configured automatically and I don't know how to fix it. So, it has to be configured manually.

Since the instructions for Debian work better and I'm not using Ubuntu 14.04 anymore, I've removed the instructions for Ubuntu 14.04 from my notes.

JPCoetzee1

Post by JPCoetzee1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks for your continued help. It works much better with Debian. I get an eth1 IP address (169.254.8.204) which I can ping from the host PC.

I can also start an SSH session to the VBox Debian session to that address but the default user/login combinations (root/changeme) do not work - I get "Access denied".

How can I login in to the SSH session?

many thanks

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:34 pm

I can also start an SSH session to the VBox Debian session to that address but the default user/login combinations (root/changeme) do not work - I get "Access denied".
The SSH root login is disabled by default. It's better to use the 'red-pitaya' login. The password is the same.

JPCoetzee1

Post by JPCoetzee1 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:42 am

I though I would update this thread with some information. I've managed to get Pavel's environment working, here are some extra steps I had to take:

PuTTY
1. Login to the Debian Virtualbox with login:root password:changeme
2. Type "ifconfig"
3. Look for an entry "eth1" or "eth1/avahi" and find "inet addr", in my case 169.254.8.204
4. Start PuTTY
5. Setup PuTTY as shown in the two screenshots below, click "Open"
6. A new terminal window will open. Login with login:red-pitaya password:changeme

X-Windows
1. Start X-Launch
2. Leave all settings as default. On my setup, typing "echo $DISPLAY" in the PuTTY session terminal shows that the display value was set to localhost:10.0, but this works with the X-Launch "Display number" default value of 0.
3. To check that the X-windows is working, in the PuTTY session terminal type "xterm &". This should open an X-Windows terminal with coloured fonts etc.

Other things
1. In the Debian VirtualBox (root) session (not the PuTTY session), set the permissions of /opt/Xilinx to +777 (chmod 777 Xilinx).
2. In the Debian VirtualBox (root) session (not the PuTTY session), added red-pitaya to sudoers group using command "sudo adduser red-pitaya sudo"

Imageputty2 by John-Paul Coetzee, on Flickr

Imageputty1 by John-Paul Coetzee, on Flickr

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie