New feature: high speed continuous recording

Discussions about active development projects
Laurent

Re: New feature: high speed continuous recording

Post by Laurent » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi Nils, everybody

It would be very helpful to have a procedure (with all links) on how to run rp_remote_acquire with current OS.

:-)

Thanks,
Laurent

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:20 pm

Agreed, but I want to streamline the whole thing a bit first - get rid of the kernel module, basically, and automate loading of the appropriate bitstream.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:46 pm

Due to popular demand, there is now a version that works with OS releases 0.94 - 0.97 for you to download.

It does not need the rpad.ko kernel module to run and has an option to automatically load a bitstream when starting. Use "-l" to load the bitstream ddrdump.bit that is in the same directory.

If you want to use it on OS 0.96 or later, you need to replace some boot components with their 0.94 counterparts. When you boot the Red Pitaya with these replacements, it will not be possible to use the logic analyzer, so make backups to be able to switch back!

Yaroslavic

Post by Yaroslavic » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:07 am

Hi everybody,

I work with RP using Matlab/scpi, but I haven't enough knowledge about Linux/ubuntu for add files without instruction step-by-step, like in the first post.

What I should I do?
1) Make new sdcard with last stable release of OS
2) place u-boot.scr, devicetree.dtb, bootbin in root of sdcard - replace files ( eco94.zip)
3) create 'tmp' folder in root of sdcard
4) place rp_remote_acquire, fddrdump.bit in 'tmp' folder (rp_remote_acquire.zip)
5) insert sdcard in RP and boot
6) connect to RP
7) ....
I don't know next steps , run some commands ?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Hi.
Ok, the list goes on like this:
6. connect to RP
7. in case you did not unpack the rp_remote_acquire.zip on a linux system, you will have to change the executable flags of the program with the following commands (the first time only)

Code: Select all

cd /opt/redpitaya/tmp
rw
chmod 755 rp_remote_acquire
8. in the directory /opt/redpitaya/tmp , execute

./rp_remote_acquire
This will give you a short explanation of the parameters.

tsitsimp

Post by tsitsimp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi All,

I have placed the rp source code directory https://github.com/bkinman/rp_remote_acquire in the redpitaya src folder , and have also loaded the rp_remote_acquire in the bin folder and the ddrdump in the fpga folder. Typing rp_remote_acquire gives me the description of the function . For -m 2 and -m 3 I do not get any response, the whole thing freezes, while for -m 1 I get the following message ''main: problem opening connection. connect failed, Connection refused'' , repeatedly until I press ctrl+c, which stops it. Anyone could offer some help?

I had no trouble previously running the pitaya from linux terminal, or from windows using plink or scpi in Matlab, but that is for the acquire and generate functions only.

Cheers

Edit: if I run the second example for the function I do get a .dat at tmp but it's empty

Also, if I run the source code in redpitaya and type make all I get the following error for transfer.c file

gcc -c -g -std=gnu99 -Wall -Werror -DVERSION= -DREVISION= main.c -o main.o
gcc -c -g -std=gnu99 -Wall -Werror -DVERSION= -DREVISION= options.c -o options.o
gcc -c -g -std=gnu99 -Wall -Werror -DVERSION= -DREVISION= scope.c -o scope.o
gcc -c -g -std=gnu99 -Wall -Werror -DVERSION= -DREVISION= transfer.c -o transfer.o
transfer.c: In function ‘transfer_mmappipe’:
transfer.c:435:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘vmsplice’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   slen = vmsplice(pipe_fd[1], &iov, 1, 0/*SPLICE_F_GIFT*/);
   ^
transfer.c:443:3: error: implicit declaration of function ‘splice’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
   slen = splice(pipe_fd[0], NULL, sock_fd, NULL, len,
   ^
transfer.c:444:17: error: ‘SPLICE_F_MOVE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                 SPLICE_F_MOVE | SPLICE_F_MORE);
                 ^
transfer.c:444:17: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
transfer.c:444:33: error: ‘SPLICE_F_MORE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
                 SPLICE_F_MOVE | SPLICE_F_MORE);
                                 ^
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
Makefile:20: recipe for target 'transfer.o' failed
make: *** [transfer.o] Error 1

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:15 pm

Hi,
Also, if I run the source code in redpitaya and type make all I get the following error for transfer.c file
That's because you are using a source that hasn't been maintained for some time.
If you want to build it from source, you should use this repository. I have not yet updated it the with the latest changes for use on ecosystems 0.94+, though.

You can find download links for compiled components for use on 0.94+ a few posts up or at the top of the first page of this thread.
loaded [...] the ddrdump in the fpga folder
Putting it into the fpga folder doesn't accomplish anything, you need to do "cat ddrdump.bit >/dev/xdevcfg" in the shell to load it.
while for -m 1 I get the following message ''main: problem opening connection. connect failed, Connection refused''
When you start it with "-m 1", it tries to open a connection to a host that you specify with the -a and -p parameters. If it can't reach this host, it will tell you so and try again.
With "-m 2" it opens a listening socket on the specified port and waits for connections. If you don't connect to that socket, nothing will ever happen.

Klarco

Post by Klarco » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:47 pm

So is it possible to get a stream to a connected HDD via USB?

I did not see or rather I did not understand it correctly..

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:42 pm

After you mount the HDD in linux, you can use the "file" mode to stream to a file on the harddisk - use for example "-m 3 -f /mnt/hdd/out.dat" if you mounted the external drive at /mnt/hdd/. Keep in mind that the highest sustainable accumulated sample rate over USB is <30MSps.

Klarco

Post by Klarco » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:44 pm

I connected OUT2 with IN1 and generated a triangle signal with vpp 1 V
to write this on my hdd I used

./rp_remote_acquire -m 3 -c 1 -d 4 -f /mnt/hdd/out.dat
But after I pressed enter, nothing happend, I guess it is recording, but how can I end it? CRTL + C does not work

Edit:

I opened a second console and did a reboot

/mnt/hdd# ls -l
total 64
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 32768 Nov  4 15:57 alt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     0 Nov  6 15:40 out.dat
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 32768 Nov  4 15:56 $RECYCLE.BIN
the file was created, but is emty

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie