WIFI setup without internet access

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
opak

WIFI setup without internet access

Post by opak » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello,

A beginner here, needing assistance in setting up the RP :)
So I'd like to use the dongle to connect the RP to the internet as we have a nice wireless network around the labs.
Problem:
1) An ethernet connection needs a static IP on the RP to grant internet access. Also I would not like to rely on ethernet ports at all.
2) Without ethernet access, I cannot set up the WIFI via the online interface.

Question:
I have an assigned static IP by an admin for the RP. How do it set it? I have managed to connect to the RP via USB via Putty in Win10. Maybe that access helps?
Could I alternatively just set the WIFI through the USB connection somehow?

Cheers

Nils Roos

Re: WIFI setup without internet access

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:42 pm

Hi,
I have an assigned static IP by an admin for the RP. How do it set it? I have managed to connect to the RP via USB via Putty in Win10. Maybe that access helps?
The Red Pitaya's network connections are managed through systemd. You can edit the configuration files on your Red Pitaya with PuTTY. You will find them in /etc/systemd/network/ . Change to DHCP=no and add the lines "Address=<static address>/<subnet>" and "Gateway=<gateway address>" with the static address infos from your admin. Eg. "Address=192.168.100.100/24", "Gateway=192.168.100.1".
Could I alternatively just set the WIFI through the USB connection somehow?
You can also edit the wireless configuration manually with the PuTTY console, though it's probably easier to make the static connection and then use the bazaar's Network Manager to configure wireless, because the wpa settings are made somewhere else.

This is also explained in more detail in the online docs.

opak

Post by opak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:28 am

Hello Nils,
Thank you for the quick response!
Nils Roos wrote: The Red Pitaya's network connections are managed through systemd. You can edit the configuration files on your Red Pitaya with PuTTY. You will find them in /etc/systemd/network/ .
Having set up the SD card as instructed, I cannot find the folders as described by you or the docs.
If I connect via USB to the RP, the structure is as follows:

root@rp-f03adf:~# ls
tmp wyliodrin-server-nodejs wyliodrin.sh

On my Win10 PC I can see only folders/files related to the visual web interface (I suppose). What am I missing?

Cheers

lblaauw

Post by lblaauw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Hello,

Well I guess the previous poster is referring to connecting to your RP with an ethernet connection first and then ssh into to it. Then you would be abel to see the files and directories(linux) he is referring to. You wont see those directly on the memorycard in you windows pc as that will only show you the (boot) fat partition of your SD card.

regards,
Leo

opak

Post by opak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:06 pm

lblaauw wrote:You wont see those directly on the memorycard in you windows pc as that will only show you the (boot) fat partition of your SD card.
Hello,

Yes, I am aware of that. I therefore connected via USB and accessed the RP with Putty. Then, after watching it boot and prompt the root login, I see only these folders:
opak wrote: root@rp-f03adf:~# ls
tmp wyliodrin-server-nodejs wyliodrin.sh

lblaauw

Post by lblaauw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:21 pm

Interesting you can access the RP over a USB cable? On mine the ethernet connector does not seem to work, let me try via usb then. Would you then use a USB cable from your pc to the micro usb power connector or do you connect it otherwise ?

greetz,
Leo

opak

Post by opak » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Yes, I'm indeed connected by USB. Standard USB to micro USB inserted into the CON port of the RP. Then I establish a serial connection via Putty. Should be equivalent to ethernet in terms of accessibility of the RP. But I basically started playing with it a few days ago so I'm not sure. ;)

lblaauw

Post by lblaauw » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:37 pm

ah damn just figured out my stemlab 125-10 does not have this micro usb port grrr regretting allready that i did not buy the 125-14 ....

greetz
Leo

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:58 pm

Ok, so that's settled, then :D

Back to the original question. When you login, you start in the current user's home-folder (which is commonly abbreviated with '~' on linux). The home folder of the root user is /root, so you are seeing only the contents of that directory. Use 'cd /' to navigate to the root of the file system, then you will be able to find the files mentioned.

opak

Post by opak » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:01 am

Nils Roos wrote:Ok, so that's settled, then :D

Back to the original question. When you login, you start in the current user's home-folder (which is commonly abbreviated with '~' on linux). The home folder of the root user is /root, so you are seeing only the contents of that directory. Use 'cd /' to navigate to the root of the file system, then you will be able to find the files mentioned.
Oh yes. Well that was indeed the part I was missing. Thanks for the reply!

Cheers

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie