Controlling the DAC output

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
blevlab

Controlling the DAC output

Post by blevlab » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:05 am

Hi,

I am new to Red Pitaya and Verilog programming.

Right now I am trying to use the Blink LED tutorial project to familiarize myself with Red Pitaya. I am hoping to build on the existing code and control the DAC ouput, for example outputting constant voltage on one of the analog output.

I have tried modifying the definition of dac_a and dac_b in the top file, but the output is always zero. I would really appreciate if someone could give me an example.

Thanks!

Nils Roos

Re: Controlling the DAC output

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Hi,

to output a constant to the DAC with the tutorial codebase, you would add something like

Code: Select all

always @(posedge adc_clk) begin
    if (~adc_rstn) begin
        dac_a <= 14'h0;
        dac_b <= 14'h0;
    end else begin
        dac_a <= 14'h1234;
        dac_b <= 14'h2345;
    end
end
to red_pitaya_top after the declaration of dac_a and dac_b.

blevlab

Post by blevlab » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:08 pm

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately that code didn't seem to work, both output voltage channels remain at either 0 or +/-1, randomly switching between the values at approximately half-hour intervals.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:02 pm

When I upgrade the tutorial project to Vivado 2016.2, then insert the above code into red_pitaya_top.v, generate a new bitstream from it, and load it on the Red Pitaya, I can measure 0.56V on channel A output and -0.9V on channel B, as expected.

Make sure that the bitstream was generated successfully. There is one additional step after upgrading that needs to be done, changing the red_pitaya.xdc, lines 134,135, to

set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {vinp_i[*]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {vinn_i[*]}]
(without that, the step "Generate Bitstream" will fail)

blevlab

Post by blevlab » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi, Nils,

Thanks for the response! Could you explain a litter bit what these two lines of modification do?

Thanks.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:40 am

Between 2013.3 and 2014.1 Vivado was changed from requiring a differential IO standard being defined for the XADC input pins to requiring a single-ended one. Using the wrong one leads to errors during implementation of a design and termination of the bitstream generation. It is just a formality, but getting it wrong leads to a failed build and no updated bitstream. The tutorial project was designed with Vivado 2013.3 and thus you need to do the change in order to build the project with a current version.

amin

Post by amin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:48 am

Hi Nils Roos,

I have been use this code:

always @(posedge adc_clk) begin
    if (~adc_rstn) begin
        dac_a <= 14'h0;
        dac_b <= 14'h0;
    end else begin
        dac_a <= 14'h1234;
        dac_b <= 14'h2345;
    end
end

I use basic basic project from this link http://redpitaya.com/examples-new/fpga- ... -tutorial/:
http://www.dropbox.com/s/j26fb3pmlfmttx ... e.zip?dl=1

I use vivado 2013.

without this modified redpitaya.xdc:

set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {vinp_i[*]}]
set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {vinn_i[*]}]
I can generate bitstream. i load bit into my redpitaya/tmp and run red_pitaya_top.bit.
But i can not get response signal generator in DAC1.
If i change TMDS_33 into LVCMOS33, i got error when generate bitsream like this comment below: ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinn_i[0] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinn_i[1] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinn_i[2] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinn_i[3] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinn_i[4] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinp_i[0] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinp_i[1] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinp_i[2] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinp_i[3] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended
ERROR: [Drc 23-20] Rule violation (IOSTDTYPE-1) IOStandard Type - I/O port vinp_i[4] is Differential but has an IOStandard of LVCMOS33 which can only support Single-Ended[/code]

Could you give me some advice, so i could figure out the issue.

Thanks

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie