Developing on RP without internet access

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
mnordgard

Developing on RP without internet access

Post by mnordgard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi!
I have a red pitaya that I am supposed to use for my masters project. I have had no success in doing the most trivial of things, like following tutorials, partly because my universities security policies are unbending in that I cannot under any circumstances allow my RP to get online. So for instance right now I am stuck just trying to get the git repository with the examples over to my RP.
I have a RedHat machine, with an extra ethernet card to connect to RP.
It seems the only way I can transfer something to the RP is with sftp (so I have to make a tarball if transferring more than one file). I cannot use scp from SSH because the network doesnt allow me that either apparently. ( I get the message: ssh_exchange_identification: read: Connection reset by peer. So I am just assuming its something to do with the network)
I am not sudo on the PC (also university regulations) and I can therefore not paste stuff directly to the SD card. Ive tried using a larger SD card and partitioning it so as to be able to write directly but I have not succeeded in that.
I wonder if anyone has any tips? Someone who has developed offline? I imagine that using STFP would be an incredible hassle if I have to make changes in a lot of different files.
Is it even possible to have a smooth workflow with RP development when it is not allowed internet access?

JohnnyMalaria

Re: Developing on RP without internet access

Post by JohnnyMalaria » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:13 am

You can connect a USB cable between the RP (the USB socket next to the power one) and your computer. This sets up a virtual COM port that you can use SSH with. Of course, you may run into a problem if any hardware drivers need to be installed given your policy restrictions. Another possibility - again depending on how locked down you are - is to do a direct PC-to-RP Ethernet connection.

John.

mnordgard

Post by mnordgard » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks for your reply John! Its like the second time I have ever gotten a reply here! Yay!
I finally figured out how to circumvent the problem and can use scp now.
Now to figure out how to program the FPGA... :P

lene85

Post by lene85 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:58 am

Hi mnordgard,
you might want to check out my project PyRPL at http://pyrpl.readthedocs.io. You only need to install PyRPL on your client computer, all software installation on the RedPitaya is handled automatically by the client..

mnordgard

Post by mnordgard » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Hi lene85!
Im sorry for the late reply, I checked out your project and it looks very smooth but to be honest I am just overwhelmed with the things I have been trying to do lately and I dont know if I can afford the time to attempt to learn yet another approach.
But thanks a lot! It is cool that there is people out there actually trying to make the RP easier to use, and helping out in the forum. :D

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie