DAC output level over frequency

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
ctrofin

DAC output level over frequency

Post by ctrofin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:01 am

When running the 'Oscilloscope & Generator' app, I noticed that the DAC'c output amplitude varies with frequency with a level exceeding twice the set amplitude somewhere in the middle of maximum bandwidth.

So, at 10KHz and a level set to 0.5V it outputs 0.5V/10KHz, changing just the frequency to 20MHz, will output a voltage level of 1.6V. Going to 40MHz will output ~0.5V/40MHz. This is on 'Low Voltage' jumper setting.

Generating a frequency sweep from 1 to 40MHz using the SCPI API, shows that there is a amplitude hump in the middle of the bandwidth, which saturates the ADC if DAC-to-ADC loopback is used.

This is a brand new board. Is there a calibration/setting I should do to correct this or should I suspect something being wrong with the board?

The output level/frequency was measured on a Tektronix scope.

Thank you,
Chris

GeoffAU

Re: DAC output level over frequency

Post by GeoffAU » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 am

The DAC has output filtering in it that assumes a 50 ohm connection. If you don't terminate it with 50 ohms you will end up with peaking as you've found.

JE3PRM

Re: DAC output level over frequency

Post by JE3PRM » Thu May 24, 2018 12:32 pm

I use a 50 ohm connection. At 1kHz to 100KHz and level=0.1V, the output is OK. But I checked it at 7MHz, output level reduced to 80%(0.08V). Is it normal with Redpitya ? I don’t think the load resistor 50 ohm I use is affected by frequency around 7MHz.
Please let me know about it.

Thank you.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie