Basic Initial Build Questions (Grounding)

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
Irakandjii

Basic Initial Build Questions (Grounding)

Post by Irakandjii » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:42 pm

Hi
I purchased this board because I am starting learning adventure into electronics.

I have the board working and now want to place it in a more robust case.

Grounding
1) I purchased an aluminum case;
a) Should I ground the case to earth ( I believe so but just checking)
b) Should the board itself be grounded to the case, I was thinking of using brass offsets of 15 mm length on each of the four (4) corners

My plan was to purchase a surface mount USB connector that would be mounted on the case with an internal cable to the Red Pitaya. I don't want a "jerked cable" to damage the RP.

Thanks in advance

Irakandjii

Re: Basic Initial Build Questions (Grounding)

Post by Irakandjii » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:49 pm

Anyone? It seemed a simple question?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:15 pm

My first thought was to better leave that question for the experts in measurement equipment, because proper grounding is not a trivial matter.
But since nobody else seems to have an opinion on the matter, I took my trusty multimeter just now and checked how the professionals do it (in this case the engineers at Tektronix).

It turns out that all BNC sockets on my scope have their shielding tied to mains ground, so I see no reason why you shouldn't do the same.

Some more quick measurements on the RP however revealed, that the pads around the 4 mounting holes are not connected to anything, so fixing the RP to your case with metal screws and brass distance pieces will not provide grounding to the case.

Irakandjii

Post by Irakandjii » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:13 pm

Thank you

Irakandjii

Post by Irakandjii » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Thank you

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie