sync connectors (S1) / on board storage

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
berndj

sync connectors (S1) / on board storage

Post by berndj » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Hi,

I was wonder what the purpose of the sync connectors is. They resemble the sata connectors I know from my computer... would it be possible to attach a disc directly to the RP?
The only on board writable memory I found is in /tmp (according to the documentation). How can I store results on the device itself for longer periods of time (i.e. incl. power interruptions).
Do you have any tutorial on how to use a USB stick as such a storage device?

Thanks for your support!
Bernd

jeanminet

Re: sync connectors (S1) / on board storage

Post by jeanminet » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:17 pm

Hi Bernd,

The pins on the sync connector (SATA connector) are directly connected to the PL (FPGA side).
You can drive them up to 250 MHz but it is not sufficient to control a SATA drive (higher-end Zynq chips have multi-Gigabit transceivers which can allow that).
The SATA connectors have been placed with synchronization between 2 (or more) Red Pitayas in mind.

It seems you are using the RAM disk image. When you write on /tmp, the data in stored in RAM and is thus lost on reboot.
You may prefer to use the Debian image in which data can be written persistently on the SD card.

Also, your USB stick should be recognized easily on the Debian image and you can find tutorial on how to use the USB stick by googling something like "usb stick raspberry pi".

Best,
Jean

berndj

Post by berndj » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:31 am

As you might have guessed, I am not feeling too comfortable with the RP and finding information on the different web sites seems quite like a endeavour on its own... so please forgive my questions it they sound naive...

Where can I find the debian OS? I found a Red Pitaya OS that can be build using Vivado. Is this what you are referring to?
Are you still reviewing the content of the OS? (see: http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... e#Software)
I didn't find much info on the RP-OS... Do you have some pointers?

Thx a lot for your support!!!

By the way, I believe that there is already quite a lot of information on the wiki and web pages and I got the RP running rel. quickly. The next steps of optimizing and building your own ideas is just the next hurdle that takes some more time...

B

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:00 pm

Hi Bernd,

A full sd-card image with the Red Pitaya OS v0.94 incl. Debian distro can be downloaded here. How to build all the components yourself is described here for the Red Pitaya specific parts and here for the Debian distro part.

The wiki pages contain mostly information for the previous versions (<= 0.93), though some things are still applicable for 0.94.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie