cannot get RP up and running

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
XAffi

cannot get RP up and running

Post by XAffi » Mon May 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi.
I received last week my RP and tried since then to get it up and running. I am operating the RP with a 2A/5V USB power supply and I copied the "ecosystem" to a class4 4GB SD card. All I get is the green LED on and a yellow LED with 50% brightness. Console connection is not working (from LInux and from Win). Network connection is also not available. Any idea what to check next?
Thanks for supporting.
Norbert

BTW: The heatsink is getting quite hot...

Nils Roos

Re: cannot get RP up and running

Post by Nils Roos » Mon May 18, 2015 9:33 pm

Unlit blue led and no console connection are both indicative of a failure to boot from the SD card.
1. Is your card formatted as FAT32 ?
2. Did you unpack the ecosystem to the card's root directory ?

XAffi

Post by XAffi » Mon May 18, 2015 10:06 pm

Hi.
Thanks for your answer.
Yes to both of your questions.
I formatted the SD card with FAT32 and unpacked the zip to the SDcard (I can see the directory structure like shown in the wiki). I even tried different versions of the ecosystem archive... Even tried to generate the file system on the sdcard on two different PCs. No success.
Thanks. Norbert

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Wed May 20, 2015 1:27 pm

If you are certain you have prepared the sdcard according to the instructions, there is not much more you can do. Maybe try a different card if you have one available, otherwise I'd say return the device for replacement.

antedeluvian

Post by antedeluvian » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:18 am

I have the identical problem- I cannot get the RP to boot although I can read the SD card as described on my PC. There is no difference of the LEDs between when the SD car is installed or removed (and yes, I did turn the power off before removing and inserting). The SD was shipped with the units as part of the kit, but I have even reformatted it.

Mechanically the SD card doesn't seem to latch/ eject properly, but the fingers of the connector certainly look to be making contact under a magnifying glass. I do suspect the connector, though.

How easy is it to return the device from Canada? Can I get the part number of the SD connector so that I could attempt to replace it?

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:49 am

Hi, antedeluvian
If you suspect that your RP is damaged
please write us on support.
http://redpitaya.com/services/#
Click on Message: Support
Best, Red Pitaya

glennholt

Post by glennholt » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:32 am

I too have the same issue. Green light, dim yellow light. No boot. This appears to be a common defect if the web is any indication.

I've tried a 1/2 dozen power supplies including my BK Precision bench with a micro-USB adapter. I've tried every power of 2GB SD card with the 0.92 ecosystem. No success.

I have tried repeatedly to get a response to the ticket I opened referencing this problem, but none has been forthcoming. It took almost 30 days for you to ship it to me, and it arrives damaged. The prospect of sending it back for replacement is, frankly, a joke. Perhaps it would arrive in time for Christmas!

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:08 pm

After I observed a similar behaviour on my RP under certain circumstances, I may have a lead on the problem.

Try to replace the boot.bin in the SD card's root folder with the one from this link. On the device where I had the problem, I could get it to boot again.

You should have the green and blue LEDs lit and the yellow LED 8 dimly lit if all went well. If not, we're back at square one, I'm afraid.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:18 pm

Unfortunately for you, I found the reason why my RP had problems, and it is very unlikely that the cause for your problems - and, consequently, the cure - is the same. Feel free to try the alternative boot.bin, nonetheless, but I don't hold out much hope.

One pertinent thing I found out:
Problems with the external RAM can lead to exactly the symptoms that have been described. In my case it was an accidental misconfiguration, but an actual hardware defect will most likely look the same.

hoinrikh

Post by hoinrikh » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:38 pm

Same problem for me. Unpacked the device, inserted proper SD card, and connected the router. Only the green light is on, one yellowish is glooming a bit.
Nothing else, no blinking, flashing or other action (maybe aside from the RJ45's yellow LED sometimes twinkling. I cannot even get a serial connection to the device.

I tried different SD cards, card readers and USB connections, to no avail. After scanning through this forum, I haven't found anything that helps me on. What can I do next?

Cheers, hoinrikh

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie