RP 0.98-647 / Wifi dongle not recognized anymore

Placement, modules, components and accessories; the ones that exist and the the nice-to-be's
redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: RP 0.98-647 / Wifi dongle not recognized anymore

Post by redpitaya » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Hi,

it seems that booth WiFi dongles were recognized by your Red Pitaya.

We've also tested again both WiFi dongles and it looks like we can not reproduce your problem.

Here are some recommendations that may help you:
  1. download red_pitaya_OS-stable.img.zip image from our download server
  2. flash your SD card with this image, then put it in your RP without any modifications
  3. test again
  4. try force refreshing your browser, sometimes things get stuck in browser cash
  5. check that you are using the correct power supply: 5 V / 2 A micro USB power supply
kind regards Red Pitaya team

hvanmunster@gmail.com

Post by hvanmunster@gmail.com » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi,
no, I am connected directly to my home wifi router without a repeater.
I reviewed the instructions for wireless setup as described in the STEMlab documentation rel 0.97 (pdf-version)
I am now using 0.98, but I suppose the instructions are identical.

When I try to create the wpa_supplicant.conf file using the wpa_passphrase command:
# wpa_passphrase <ssid> [**my_wifi_key_**] > /opt/redpitaya/wpa_supplicant.conf
(MIND the # sign. I can't get the dollar sign ($) => what difference does this make?)

then I get: "-bash: ssid: No such file or directory"
I tried this from different locations (from "root"; from "/etc/wpa_supplicant" and from "/opt/redpitaya" working directories)

I manually created an empty wpa_supplicant.conf file using nano: same result (No such file or directory).

Even the instrucion "# wpa_passphrase <ssid> [**my_wifi_key_**] " without the 'forward' sign > already generates the error 'no such file or directory'

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

hvanmunster@gmail.com

Post by hvanmunster@gmail.com » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:22 pm

Hi,

no i am not working via a repeater. The RP-wifi is in the direct neighborhood of my main router ==> should be able to make a direct connection.

In the mean time i did some further tests and followed the steps as described in the Redpitay STEMlab documentation 0.97 (i guess this must be identcial to 0.98?)
It appears that the wpa_passphrase tool is unable to create the wpa_supplicant.conf file.
When I launch the code below, I always get an 'No such file or directory' error

# wpa_passphrase <ssid> [**keycode_of_my_router**] > /opt/redpitaya/wpa_supplicant.conf

Note that in the documentations the code starts with a dollar ($) sign in stead of the hash #, but I don't seem to get this $ sign in my terminal (I used putty ssh connection to login)
I tried this command from the root working directory as well as from the /opt/redpitaya working directory: no luck.
I manually created an empty wpa_supplicant.conf file using nano, hoping that the wpa_passphrase tool would overwrite the file with the correct configuration syntax, but I still got the 'No such file or directory' error.

Any suggestions?
Best regards,
Herman

hvanmunster@gmail.com

Post by hvanmunster@gmail.com » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello again.

Problem solved!
Thanks for your help. I re-installed everything as you suggested. Now the dongle is recongized.
It is a bit strange. The very first person who responded to my question also suggested to install the stable image. The problem had started in the first place by installing that stable image (which was btw the same image as the one I installed only minutes ago)
Something must have gone wrong during that installation.

Please ignore my previous (redundant) post.
Thanks again everyone for the support!
Best regards,
Herman.

amike88

Post by amike88 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:20 am

Hey,

I am just glad that it worked out :)

ducatistou

Post by ducatistou » Tue May 22, 2018 7:03 pm

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem since I upgraded to 0.98 (stable and Beta) but it is not solved after reinstalling as suggested.
Still cannot connect to wifi as client nor access point
Direct LAN connection to PC does not work either.
The only way to connect to RP since 0.98 is via router with LAN ...
Thanks if anyone can help

Eric

Peterh61

Post by Peterh61 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:58 am

Hello,
same problem after update to 0.98.617 marked as "stable version"?
Update to 0.98.685 (beta) lead to a recognised WLAN dongle, but neither settings for "client" (none of my APs are listed), nor the"access point creation" mode will work anymore...

Any idea from professional side?

Thank you very much in Advance.

Peter

ElectroNick

Post by ElectroNick » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:50 pm

For me it worked if the wifi dongle is plugged after power-on

Peterh61

Post by Peterh61 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:00 am

Hi,

same problem again after upgrading to 0.98-694.
The WiFi-Dongle will not be recognised during boot (blue LED is off).

to ElektroNick: yes, plug in after boot helps, the Wifi-Dongle will be recognised, but no connection will be established (LED doesn't flash).
I had a look at the /boot/hostapd.conf, there is my access-point correctly specified.

I think the problem is, that the Dongle is not up at boot time (I read that in another post).

But how to make it working at start up? Any ideas?
Working with LAN is not every time comfortable or possible...

Thank you very much in advance,
Peter

jmadsenee

Post by jmadsenee » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:00 pm

I was having the same problem. It worked when I first loaded the uSD card, then stopped. Then after a while started again (maybe). I was using the recommended Edimax EW7811Un (which is not the same one recommended for AP use). I was using it to make the RP an AP, however. Anyway, I screwed around with tons of stuff in the linux config files (I did not use the web interface and network manager), never really solved the problem with that dongle. Using

Code: Select all

lshw -C network
it would come up as disabled when not working.

The Raspberry Pi dongle recommended for AP use is discontinued. I tried a Panda PAU05 dongle that uses an RT5372 chipset and claims to work with ubuntu. Early days still, but it seems to work. I've powered up/down several times. If I run into problems, I will post again and let you know.

John

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie