Deep Memory, One Shot, Data Recorder

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
JarrenLange

Deep Memory, One Shot, Data Recorder

Post by JarrenLange » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi There

I have an application for which I have developed a solution using dedicated hardware, that I am sure the Red-Pitaya can provide an alternative for. Basically I have an event that occurs randomly, say once every 10 minutes that I would like to capture as much of as possible and then store that to a USB drive or the SD card if possible.

I have noticed that the Red Pitaya has a 4 Gb DDR3 SDRAM (512 MB) as specified in its datasheet.

Would it be possible to create a single-shot recorder that captures the a recording from the ADC (using the memory as some sort of FIFO) and then upon a trigger event, full up half of the FIFO (so you are left with some pre-trigger samples) and then copy this information over to the SD card or a USB drive.

Obviously I understand some of the memory is used by the OS, however the embedded OS should not need more than 256MB, could a sample buffer not be implemented therein. Even using 16MB (8 Million samples on one channel) would be awesome.

I am trying to develop this myself, however I am struggling with trying to setup the development environment and honestly believe someone here would be better equipped to solve this problem. Obviously the hardware is available in the current red-pitaya version to make this possible.

Regards
Jarren Lange

Crt Valentincic

Re: Deep Memory, One Shot, Data Recorder

Post by Crt Valentincic » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:16 am

Larger buffer is one of the high priority features that will sure be implemented in the near future. With current FPGA implementation it would be still possible to achieve this functionality at lower sample rates..

ingdb

Post by ingdb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

Hi Jarren,

I am too working (resp. thinking) about some enhancements of the RedPitaya. I want to use the ZYNQ HP interface and I want to use the Linux gstreamer framework for signal processing, signal streaming (or signal logging). Can you tell me more about your use case?

best
Matthias

LeonardaPereda

Post by LeonardaPereda » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:38 am

For safety and security purposes, authorities and automakers uses event data recorder to record the crash of data and habits of the driver but there are third-party marketers who uses it for invading the security of the driver. Event Data recorder was initially used in 1991 by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration to determine the details that surround an automotive crash.
___________________________________________________________________________________
COMMENT: As hidden advertising this post may be treated OFF TOPIC.
Since it mentions potential use of the application discussed in this topic, it is not removed.
Admin

MES_Tech

Post by MES_Tech » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:55 pm

This is one of the main reasons that we are not looking at more of these for remote DAQ's. We need a minimum of 5MS/s and 1 second. If we had the ability to record for this time, we would be purchasing many of these as they are low cost, low power and very portable. We can afford to write them off.

At first when I read the specs, I missed the BIT over BYTE. Oops. :)

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:27 pm

I know of four different extensions to the stock Red Pitaya software that would meet your requirements. One of them is from the Red Pitaya team and the other three from users (melko, pavel-demin and myself). None has yet found its way into the stable ecosystem release.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie