RP would not boot

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
kasaudio

RP would not boot

Post by kasaudio » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:27 pm

A got into trouble a few times; RP would not boot. The solution was reinstalling the image onto sd card. It's a annoying since I make field measurements using RP and driving two hours away just to find out my device won't boot is a little frustrating.

In the Raspberry Pi case, user is prompted to perform regular shutdown procedure before cutting the power from the board.

I began to shutdown my RP using a putty console and the problem disappeared. It would be really nice to have a simple "shutdown knob" in a web interface to prevent boot-up problems on the regular basis.

Best regards, kas

kasaudio

Re: RP would not boot

Post by kasaudio » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:01 am

Today I noticed a small top right button on a web interface that looks like a power button. By pressing it, user is prompted to restart RP. It seems it is doing the job quite well. Maybe a little to small...

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:51 pm

Please hit me up on support@redpitaya.com
I would like to see if I can help with that not booting issue.

kasaudio

Post by kasaudio » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:43 am

Like mentioned above, a tiny power button in the top-right corner of the web interface solved the problem. Since then, no boot problems so far...

Maybe that button should be a little bigger to be clearly noticed, as proper shut-down is essential for trouble-free operation of the RP device.

BR, kasaudio

kasaudio

Post by kasaudio » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:52 pm

I'm planning to use RP in a commercial project. However there are some "issues" that need to be solved in order to create a durable and stable product.

Booting issue is one of them.

As mentioned above, tiny power button solved the problem - no boot problems with RP in my lab anymore.

But how to solve the problem in real world - on the field, with portable power supply for measurement device containig the RP as heart and brain? Implementation of smart power up/down is one way to go, but adds unnecessary complexity which I would like to avoid.

What about setting the "TMP_WRITE_PROTECTION" bit on the OS sd card?

according to this:

https://hackaday.io/project/26096-demen ... protection

Would this work with RP and provide a bullet-proof solution for "abrupt turn OFF/turn ON" scenario? In my case, once RP is set up and working, there is no need to write anything to it's SD card. RP would be completely hidden to the end user.

Best regards!
Last edited by kasaudio on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pavel

Post by pavel » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:08 pm

But how to slove the problem in real world - on the field, with portable power supply for measurement device containig the RP as heart and brain?
For my projects, I solved this problem by using a configuration where the SD card is mounted read-only and nothing is written to the SD card during its normal operation. So, the power can be switched off at any moment without damaging the file system on the SD card. The SD card image that I use can be found at this link.

kasaudio

Post by kasaudio » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:48 am

Thank you Pavel for your reply.

Your work is awesome. Tried it and it works. It seems the way to go.

I also tried with making SD card "read-only" using sdtool and RPi 3b+ with latest Raspbian.

https://github.com/BertoldVdb/sdtool

I succedded making one of my sd cards with Raspbian read only, unfortunately none with RedPitaya OS. Beside RPi complaining regarding unsuccessful time synchronisation during boot-up, the read-only OS card worked ok. I was not able to restore the card back to writable state anymore (temporary readonly bit). Sdtool obviously needs some more effort to make it usable with latest sd stuff.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:48 pm

Sorry to interrupt. Black Friday 2020 is here!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie