SDR (Software Defined Radio) Transceiver

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
pavel

Re: SDR (Software Defined Radio) Transceiver

Post by pavel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:12 pm

digivend wrote:It seems SDR-Radio V3 supports OpenHPSDR Ethernet Protocol written by Phil Harman VK6PH.
Will also Redpitaya in the future be usable with SDR-Radio software?
SDR-Radio V3 supports only the new OpenHPSDR protocol:
http://svn.tapr.org/repos_sdr_hpsdr/tru ... umentation

It's not impossible that I implement this protocol in my SDR applications compatible with HPSDR.

Before recently, I could not find any SDR program that supports this protocol. Thetis is still under development. SDR-Radio V3 is closed-source and can't be easily used for testing/debugging of my implementation of the protocol.

In case of SDR-Radio V3, I'd prefer if it supports the simple TCP protocol that I implemented in the 'SDR transceiver' application for Red Pitaya. I've already added support for this protocol to the gr-osmosdr and SoapySDR libraries. The programs using these libraries are Gqrx, CubicSDR, Pothos, GNU Radio.

It would be helpful if somebody contacts the developers of the SDR-Radio V3 program and asks them if they are interested to add support for the simple TCP protocol used in the 'SDR transceiver' application for Red Pitaya.

pavel

Re: The PTT Keying and CW DOT/DASH...

Post by pavel » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:11 pm

martywittrock wrote:I seem to remember that at the time of the first creation of that functionality nearly a year ago, that the DOT and DASH capability worked, too, and I had asked that a 'cw-keyer' algorithm be added to the Red Pitaya image.
I'm not sure that the DOT and DASH signals actually worked. They are still connected to the same pins on the Red Pitaya board and their state is sent to the PowerSDR mRX PS program but the required CW functionality is not implemented in my application running on Red Pitaya.

Here is a recently opened GitHub issue on a very similar subject:
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... issues/318

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:55 pm

A new version (0.94-1303) of the Red Pitaya SDR application compatible with HPSDR is ready. I uploaded it to the Red Pitaya application marketplace and updated the customized SD card image available from the following link:

http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya ... iver-hpsdr

This new version includes the following improvements:
  • reduced TX signal latency from ~350 ms to ~50 ms
  • connected outputs for 10 dB and 20 dB attenuators control to the pins DIO2_P - DIO3_P of the extension connector E1
  • connected outputs for Hermes Ctrl pins to the pins DIO4_P - DIO7_P of the extension connector E1
  • enabled internal pullup on the input pins (Dot, Dash, PTT)
  • added TX drive level control that scales samples sent to DAC (lower levels decrease the DAC resolution, SNR, etc)
  • added a very basic CW functionality that works with a straight key or an external keyer connected to the pin DIO2_N of the extension connector E1 (CW signal is generated when one of the CW modes is selected in PowerSDR mRX PS and the pin DIO2_N is connected to GND)
Here is a drawing of the extension connector E1 showing pins used by this new version:

jgroves

Post by jgroves » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:43 am

pavel wrote:A new version (0.94-1303) of the Red Pitaya SDR application compatible with HPSDR is ready. I uploaded it to the Red Pitaya application marketplace and updated the customized SD card image available from the following link:

• reduced TX signal latency from ~350 ms to ~50 ms
  • connected outputs for 10 dB and 20 dB attenuators control to the pins DIO2_P - DIO3_P of the extension connector E1
  • connected outputs for Hermes Ctrl pins to the pins DIO4_P - DIO7_P of the extension connector E1
  • enabled internal pullup on the input pins (Dot, Dash, PTT)
  • added TX drive level control that scales samples sent to DAC (lower levels decrease the DAC resolution, SNR, etc)
  • added a very basic CW functionality that works with a straight key or an external keyer connected to the pin DIO2_N of the extension connector E1 (CW signal is generated when one of the CW modes is selected in PowerSDR mRX PS and the pin DIO2_N is connected to GND)
Here is a drawing of the extension connector E1 showing pins used by this new version:
Hi Pavel,

I see that DIO3_N is the GPS PPS, in. Have you got it working?

Kind Regards,

Julian (G1AUN).

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 pm

jgroves wrote: I see that DIO3_N is the GPS PPS, in. Have you got it working?
Hi Julian,

The GPS based frequency calibration isn't implemented. It's still on my to do list.

Best regards,

Pavel

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:49 pm

A new version (0.94-1313) of the Red Pitaya SDR application compatible with HPSDR is ready. I uploaded it to the Red Pitaya application marketplace and updated the customized SD card image available from the following link:

• reduced CW signal latency from ~15 ms to ~2 ms
  • increased RX signal levels by 10 dB
  • added TX drive level control via DS1803-10 (thanks to ON3VNA)
Some information about the CW functionality can be found at this link.

DVE

Post by DVE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:19 am

My HDSDR settings were incorrect, sorry.
Last edited by DVE on Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pavel

Post by pavel » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:12 am

DVE wrote: when I drag the spectrum to the right, some signal lines are moving to the left.

What's this? Red Pitaya is DDC receiver, so there should be no mirror channels or something like this?
Interesting. I'm not sure if I understand what moves where. Is it the signal at 7.474 MHz that moves in the wrong direction?

Anyway, I don't know what it is. As it was suggested on the radioscanner.ru forum, it could be some strong signals from other Nyquist zones. Could you please check if there are some strong signals around 117.5 MHz (125 - 7.5) in your area?

I've also seen your comments about the sensitivity. There are several solutions to boost it. Here are some sensitivity numbers with the links to the mods:
  • -106 dBm with the jumper in the LV position (no mods)
  • -113 dBm with the jumper in the 2-5 position (simple mod shown in this post)
  • -125 dBm with the mod by RZ3QS (advanced mod shown in this post)
Some MDS numbers can be also found at the following links: HAMLAB and more MDS measurements.

Amplifiers also help. I'm currently using a simple amplifier based on the OPA659 opamp (wideband, JFET-input). I also have j310preamp by SV1AFN and it works very well with Red Pitaya.

DVE

Post by DVE » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:59 pm

I fixed the problem with strange signals - HDSDR settings were wrong, Left channel was set as IQ input. Sorry, my fail :)

DVE

Re: multiband WSPR receiver

Post by DVE » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:37 am

pavel wrote: The transmission is currently not the most user friendly part of this project. To use it the following command should be properly scheduled:

Code: Select all

/root/transmit-wspr-message transmit-wspr-message.cfg
Hi.

Is it possible to install wspr transceiver to the existing OS? Rewriting new SD-card image is not a very friendly way to install new app, isn't it? :)
I tried to build your sources on RP myself, and got the error " No rule to make target 'wsprsim_utils.o', needed by 'transmit-wspr-message'". It looks like, some files from WSJT are required. README file contains nothing.

Finally, I compiled "transmit-wspr-message" on RP, but when trying to start, got only "Bus error". Do I need also to load new FPGA image, can it be done with command line?

Thanks.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie