SDR (Software Defined Radio) Transceiver

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
Matony

SDR (Software Defined Radio) Transceiver

Post by Matony » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:55 am

Great it would be variable DDC with TCP/IP streaming from/to any SDR application (HDSDR, SDR#, GNUradio). :idea:

IanWizard

Re: SDR (Software Defined Radio) Transceiver

Post by IanWizard » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:12 am

There have been some requests for this, and it was listed in the video from some time back. There has been some talk about it being in the works, but I've not seen anything to suggest that is actually happening, nor any mention of time-frame. I'm waiting until there's something to suggest it's actually going to happen before I order mine. I don't have anywhere near the time to do it myself, not to mention the fact that I'm not well qualified either :P

sa-penguin

Post by sa-penguin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 pm

There are 2 options I can think of:
1) Single channel ADC. Easiest to implement, an external amp / filter is all you need to get started in HF. Optional extras include Variable Gain Amp, controlled by a voltage out one DAC channel. Leaves other DAC channel free, for implementing TX version.

2) Dual channel ADC. Requires the RF to already be split into I and Q channels, ie. external mixer. I and Q signals are the same frequency but 90 degrees out of phase: for HF you could use both DAC outputs. If you want more control, you will need signals from extender board section. More effort, but greater bandwidth. TX would involve mdulating the DAC outputs, then using more control signals from extender board section to switch between RX /TX.

Both can start with HF and then extend toward the GHz offered by HackRF, BladeRF etc. The first option should be cheaper and easier to implement, the second may have more luxury "bells and whistles". Which would you prefer?

Matony

Post by Matony » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:53 am

sa-penguin wrote:There are 2 options I can think of:
1) Single channel ADC. Easiest to implement, an external amp / filter is all you need to get started in HF. Optional extras include Variable Gain Amp, controlled by a voltage out one DAC channel. Leaves other DAC channel free, for implementing TX version.

2) Dual channel ADC. Requires the RF to already be split into I and Q channels, ie. external mixer. I and Q signals are the same frequency but 90 degrees out of phase: for HF you could use both DAC outputs. If you want more control, you will need signals from extender board section. More effort, but greater bandwidth. TX would involve mdulating the DAC outputs, then using more control signals from extender board section to switch between RX /TX.

Both can start with HF and then extend toward the GHz offered by HackRF, BladeRF etc. The first option should be cheaper and easier to implement, the second may have more luxury "bells and whistles". Which would you prefer?
Both options would like to use :) I would start with a single ADC channel and simple streaming TCP / UDP over network..

fastjack

Post by fastjack » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:13 pm

I have bought this very cool board mainly for it's huge potential to use as an SDR transceiver.
Is there any development currently ongoing?
Are there plans for developing such an interface?
Fastjack

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:27 pm

An application that streams ADC data over ethernet is currently in development.
We (BrandonKinman and myself) have a working prototype which we use eg. as a GNU Radio TCP source. There are some bugs to iron out still, but expect to hear more news over the coming weeks.

Once that is done, the reverse direction (ethernet data stream -> DAC) will be added.

If you have any suggestions what features would be good to have in these modules, please tell us.

Cheers
Nils

fastjack

Post by fastjack » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Nils,
that is really great news!
How will this work? Like an USRP with an UHD driver?
I will look closely for any updates on this topic.
In the future it might be very interesting to have dual Rx capability, in order to make phase measurements. I assume that all the 4 RF ports are coherent?
And if dual Tx capability would be possible, with controllable phase shift between these outputs, the possibilities are endless.

Well, for now keep up the good work! Thanks for all the effort.
Fastjack

piccolo

Post by piccolo » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Nils, glad to hear that you've gotten RP to work as a GNURadio source. Are you able to demodulate signals?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:29 pm

I don't have any CB or ham radio experience, nor equipment. So I do not have a signal to demodulate and no idea how to build a demodulator in grc.
If you'd be interested to try it out and have appropriate equipment, I could fix you up with something to use the Red Pitaya as a grc input source.

piccolo

Post by piccolo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:25 am

Nils, I do have equipment and some facility with GRC. If you have some code to get the RP working as a GRC source, I'd like to play with it.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie