Antenna analyser

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
pavel

Re: Antenna analyser

Post by pavel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 pm

Please explain which applications I need to replace and where to download
You need to update both the Red Pitaya application and the client program.

If you're using the SD card image from http://downloads.redpitaya.com/downloads/0.95, then you can install or update the VNA application via the application marketplace.

Alternatively, you can use the SD card image ecosystem-0.95-1-6deb253-vna.zip.

Choose whichever meets better your requirements.

All the 'Getting started' instructions and links at this link are up-to-date. If you have a previously downloaded client program, then remove it and follow one of the 'Getting started' instructions that corresponds to your OS.

Drachenfrucht

Post by Drachenfrucht » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Hi Pavel,

as I said before I am running ecosystem 0.95-1 this is the version number displayed on the bottom right in WebUI. So I clicked on "Application Marketplace" and looked for "VNA" ... I see your application here:
Vector Network Analyzer (0.94-1439)

Vector Network Analyzer. (by Pavel Demin)
I already had that app installed... to begin from scratch I uninstalled it first and after reloading the page I still see version 0.94-1439 for the VNA application on the Bazaar. Nevertheless I installed it again and launched it. Unfortunately there is no information which version is running... so I am not sure if this was enough...

I also tried the other way just to ensure I am on the latest version. But when I download the link you provided (ecosystem-0.95-1-6deb253-vna.zip) and unzip it I get a bunch of folders and files. How should I write them to my MMC card with linux command "dd" ?? I would expect a single .img file so I can execute "dd if=ecosystem-0.95-1-6deb253 of=/dev/sdb bs=1M && sync". Can you provide a image file ?

Unfortunately I am stuck on this step

For the VNA client I did run

Code: Select all

cd /opt && mv red-pitaya-notes red-pitaya-notes.old && git clone https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pitaya-notes
so for the client I am up-to-date I guess ... although I would prefer a version information on the right top or bottom in VNA client. That would help to identify which version the VNA client is.

Thanks for assistance and your effort

pavel

Post by pavel » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Vector Network Analyzer (0.94-1439)
0.94-1439 is the latest version. Your VNA application for Red Pitaya is up-to-date.
How should I write them to my MMC card with linux command
I'd use unzip and cp commands. I don't know how to explain it better than it's already written in my notes. If you have ecosystem 0.95-1 installed, then it's perfectly OK and you don't need ecosystem-0.95-1-6deb253-vna.zip.

Drachenfrucht

Post by Drachenfrucht » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:10 am

Hi Pavel,

either my RP has a malfunction and not working properly any more or I have done something wrong. Meanwhile I have rewritten my MMC card with "red_pitaya_OS_v0.95-1_14-Apr-2016.img" to begin from scratch. I can connect with vna.py but when I press the [DUT] button if finishes immediately in a short period of a second. Normally I waited about 3-4 seconds for a sweep to finish, that's odd. So I tried to RECALIBRATE it. I do OPEN, I do SHORT and when I try LOAD it does nothing after I press the LOAD button. The signal curve remains as it is and when I click on the top right button [LOAD] I can see there is no correct LOAD curve showing as I would expect.

Is it possible to test the previous vna server version somehow to check if it's a problem with the VNA server application or maybe my RP is faulty?

EDIT: I just installed the application "Generator & Oscilloscope" and connected OUT1 <---> IN1. Then I produced a sinus signal on OUT1 and I can perfectly see it on IN1. I guess my RP is working ok *puuh*

EDIT2: Damn! it's my reflection bridge. Just opened it and checked it, there is a loose contact. Needed to solder it ... now its ok again... will do some ant tests later and report back

pavel

Post by pavel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:52 am

I can connect with vna.py but when I press the [DUT] button if finishes immediately in a short period of a second. Normally I waited about 3-4 seconds for a sweep to finish, that's odd.
This is normal. The new version is 100 times faster than the previous one. For slower sweeps, it's enough to select a lower bandwidth.

Drachenfrucht

Post by Drachenfrucht » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi Pavel,

did some tests, but I still get different results of what "real" network analyzers display. I checked with two other RigExperts which are known to be accurate, stable and very good. My Red Pitaya is about ~50kHz offset. I have no clue where the error is, I tried various calibration procedured but none of them changed the result.

Any clues?

Drachenfrucht

Post by Drachenfrucht » Wed May 10, 2017 5:12 pm

is it possible to get the peaks automatically displayed when sweeping? For example it we choose [SWR] so it shows the minimum and maximum SWR values and on which frequency exactly they belong to. I mean something like the Oscilloscope or SpectrumAnalyzer does --> it automagically shows the peaks and the related values for it.

Would be a nice feauture for all the tabs in VNA client (SWR, impedance, etc.)

do7prm

Resolution of linux client

Post by do7prm » Wed May 17, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello Pavel,

a big thank you for your work at first!

I connected RP and RaspberryPi3 via direct link and run vna.py on the raspi. Everything is fine!

Now I connected a 5" Touchdisplay to the Raspi, which worked fine too.

Only thing with the vna-client is, that the Display has a Resolution of 800x480 and the Clientscreen doesn't fit into it. A scrollbar would help. All is readable vy gd, so smaller would be fine too.

vy 73 es cuagn

Drachenfrucht

Post by Drachenfrucht » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

Hi Pavel. I downloaded and installed the latest stable RedPitaya image from official redpitaya site. The filename was <redpitaya_ubuntu_17-11-35_01-sep-2017.img> But when I check the marketplace I do not see your application "VNA" anymore there. It was there before on older ecosystems (for example 0.95-1). Did I miss anything? I would prefer to use the official RedPitaya sd card image because I also use other applications like "Oscilloscope". I tried also downloading your customized version and unzipped/copied to my sd card. But I still cannot see any of your applications in the "RedPitaya Bazaar Marketplace". Why ? How should I install some of your great applications like VNA or SDR ?

how can I have VNA installed on the latest RedPitaya image from 01-Sep-2017 ? My webMenu on the bottom right says --> "Red Pitaya OS 0.98-617 / STEM 14"
Last edited by Drachenfrucht on Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Drachenfrucht wrote:But when I check the marketplace I do not see your application "VNA" anymore there. It was there before on older ecosystems (for example 0.95-1). Did I miss anything?
The contributor interface of the Red Pitaya marketplace is broken and I can't upload my applications. More details can be found in this thread.
Drachenfrucht wrote:When I boot RedPitaya it really shows 0.95 version, but I don't see any VNA server program in the application list.
With my customized SD card images based on the 0.95 ecosystem, the VNA server is started automatically at the boot time. No need to start it via the web interface.

BTW, I'm planning to replace all my customized SD card images based on the 0.95 ecosystem with a single SD card image based on the lightweight Alpine Linux distribution. If you're interested to give it a try, it can be downloaded from the following link:

http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie