My V.2.0 hardware wishlist

Have an idea? Post it here! - Looking for developers? Ask here as well!
sobomax

My V.2.0 hardware wishlist

Post by sobomax » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Hey guys at redpitaya and elsewhere, I suggest we start discussing your plans for 2.0 hardware and maybe give you some ideas of what could be useful features of the next version. From my personal PoV it would be nice to have:

1. Ability to add/substract fixed DC offset into/from the output signal after DAC and/or substract/add it from the input signal before that actually goes into ADC. I think that's the feature that needs to be in hardware rather than in software, since if you offset your signal in the digital domain that effectively reduces your dynamic range. Any decent scope does it in hardware, so that you can get good resolution for small AC signals that ride on larger DC offset. That also makes calibration for the imperfections of the i/o stage easier.

2. A li-ion charging controller on board, i.e. TPS65217 or the like, so that it's easier to use RP in field by just whacking some random li-ion cell. Don't repeat the same mistake as BBB guys did, by not connecting MUX IN/MUX OUT pin to some unused ADC pins on the SOC. This greatly improves ability to do self-diagnostic and monitoring.

3. Adding some protection of the i/o stage would be good. There've been some reports of the input/outbut burnouts.

Thanks!

-Max

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: My V.2.0 hardware wishlist

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:57 am

Hi,
Thank you for the suggestions.
We also hope that V2.0 will be ASAP.
Regards

Arnold

Post by Arnold » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:44 pm

- higher input sampling rate
- as many input channels as a standard oscilloscope, so 4 or 5...
- 4-5 output channels with a higher Vpp (currently 2) for the function generators. output and input should match in the voltage range...
- SATA interface to store data on a SSD disk, useful for tasks where streaming over the network is not fast enough or the DDR memory is to small...
- more powerful ARM CPU (3 GHz), maybe 4 cores.
- more DDR memory.

and V2.0 should really be open source, HW, SW, everything. at the moment open source is a fake in my mind.
any idea when V2.0 will be started/ready to be shipped?

DF4IAH

Post by DF4IAH » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:16 pm

... and here is my wish list:

- add all configuration lines from the ADC to the FPGA. That would enable the possibility to switch on data randomization and alteration to get the best out of the ADCs. Never bind such configuration lines hard to VCC or GND

- replace the DAC which is meanwhile no more available

- remove all oscillators and keep just one. Get all needed frequencies from the PLLs from the FPGA, which keeps these clocks stable in phase

- avoid moving signals and data between different clock zones without synchronization! That is VERY important, indeed!

- keep the developer community happy and let us see your hardware schematics. ;)

Thanks,
Uli, DF4IAH 8-)

augustocampos

Post by augustocampos » Sat May 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Could you please provide the following for the next gen?
.- 100 MHz Bandwidth, or at least 60 MHz Bandwithd.
.- AC Multiplexer add-on so we could select to monitor different AC sources either on demand or periodically.
.- Several Channels: At least 4

Thanks.

ted051

Post by ted051 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:02 pm

My wish:
Make switchable In-/ Outputs for 50 Ohm/ High impedance, (via jumpers).
Wolfgang

Ste_Trat

Post by Ste_Trat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:39 pm

here is my wishlist

- a precision shield would be awesome, with the easy to use interface of tcp/ip with python.

i would totally buy the koheron 250 msps aqusition board from koheron, if i had an idea of using it. But what stops me is: the price of 2.5k euro, the missing knowledge of programming a fpga, and perhaps some things i would need and i am not yet aware of.

The cheap alternative via the arduino way, is also no option. There are current no shields available for arduino...

So, what would make me happy? a little brother of the koheron 250 msps board. Just think of myriadrf where they put the limemini into the world beside the limesdr.

kasaudio

Post by kasaudio » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 pm

Recently I had a conversation with Red-Pitaya team about my impressions and ideas about StemLab 125-4 board I purchased some time ago.

I planned to use Red-Pitaya as a learning tool into FPGA programming field. Unfortunately till now I did not managed to dig into the FPGA. I certainly will in a short time.

From my experience till now I would definitely like the following (from highest importance to lowest):

- have the ability to add/subtract DC offset in analogue domain.
- all default apps (oscilloscope, logic analyzer, frequency analyzer and bode plot) should have an option to remember the last settings (LV-HV setting, probe attenuation,....)
- calibration process (oscilloscope app) is difficult, especially if you have an aluminium housng with RP. User is forced to calibrate both inputs on the LV setting and then proceed with the HV setting. With aluminium housing you have to remove the card from housing, install the default heatsink, calibrate, remove heatsink , install the card back.
- it is unclear which calibration settings (LV or HV) bode plotter uses as there is no selection required for the user
- I would like some more settings with the frequency analyzer app - like FFT size, window selection,..
- It would be nice to lower power supply requirements so that RP can be powered directly from PC.

Best regards, kasaudio

mysiak

Post by mysiak » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:57 pm

Is there any hope for new red pitaya v2 hardware ?

xynium

Post by xynium » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Seem that V2 look at SDR, so hope there will be an audio in/output I2S and tlv320.

73 FM4PN JP

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie