Support for I2C & I3C Decode and Protocol Analysis

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
sam.broyles

Support for I2C & I3C Decode and Protocol Analysis

Post by sam.broyles » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:51 pm

It looks like all the Red Pitaya boards support I2C communication, but what about I3C?

Is I2C support limited to using the digital IO for read/write operations on an I2C bus with a slave device? Are there any sniffer or protocol analysis tools available?

Has anyone used the Analog inputs for I2C or I3C decode and protocol analysis?

I would really like to invest some time developing test code for I2C & I3C analysis if it can be supported on this platform.

Thanks!
Sam

M0JPI

Re: Support for I2C & I3C Decode and Protocol Analysis

Post by M0JPI » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:35 pm

Hi Sam,

The Red Pitaya STEMlab & SIGNALlab boards OS images include the Logic Analyzer Application that can decode I2C, SPI, UART and CAN busses.

The Red Pitaya boards have an input voltage of 3.3V with NO overload protection. For overload protection and 5V tolerant inputs there is an extension module. There is a warning that you need the extension module for the Pro version, but I think they changed a few versions ago. I've tested the latest OS on STEMlab STEMlab 125-10 and 125-14, and they work with the extension module or directly wired to the digital pins.

I heard about I3C earlier this year, and I've seen that support has been added to the Linux kernel, but I've not seen any hardware installations yet. It looks like NXP are an early I3C adopter, but their boards are not due out until next year.

For FPGAs NXP have released a Verilog design for an I3C 1.0 Basic Slave, they don't seem to have a version for MIPI I3C Basic v1.1.1 though. Xilinx have an IP block from Arasan for an I3C Master, but it's $95,000. You could use that IP block to implement an I3C master on the Red Pitaya board but it would be expensive, it's not clear if it's been tested on the Zynq 7000 that the Red Pitaya use either.

I think it would be interesting if you could get I3C working on the Red Pitaya, but I think it would be a big project. For now I will be staying with I2C, SPI, UART and CAN busses that the Red Pitaya has support for, and can decode.

John M0JPI

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie