Running into 'bad value' error when installing Makefile.x86

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
sslerose

Running into 'bad value' error when installing Makefile.x86

Post by sslerose » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:44 am

I have been trying to build an FPGA image on my STEMLab 125-10 (following the docs from Red Pitaya here) for around 6 months now and at my current state I cannot get past the Makefile.x86 install command.

I have the entire ecosystem installed from 3.2.2.4.2, however, after calling the settings.sh and disabling the library overrides, I run

Code: Select all

make -f Makefile.x86 install MODEL=Z10
which throws a bad value error for the '-march=' switch, with a small snippet of the error shown below:

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/sslerose/RedPitaya/tmp/u-boot-xlnx-redpitaya-v2016.4.1'
#
# configuration written to .config
#
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/sslerose/RedPitaya/tmp/u-boot-xlnx-redpitaya-v2016.4.1'
make -C tmp/u-boot-xlnx-redpitaya-v2016.4.1 arch=ARM CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard"
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/sslerose/RedPitaya/tmp/u-boot-xlnx-redpitaya-v2016.4.1'
scripts/kconfig/conf  --silentoldconfig Kconfig
  CHK     include/config.h
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk
  GEN     include/autoconf.mk.dep
  GEN     spl/include/autoconf.mk
  CHK     include/config/uboot.release
  CHK     include/generated/version_autogenerated.h
  CHK     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  UPD     include/generated/timestamp_autogenerated.h
  CC      lib/asm-offsets.s
cc1: error: bad value (‘armv5’) for ‘-march=’ switch
cc1: note: valid arguments to ‘-march=’ switch are: nocona core2 nehalem corei7 westmere sandybridge corei7-avx ivybridge core-avx-i haswell core-avx2 broadwell skylake skylake-avx512 cannonlake icelake-client rocketlake icelake-server cascadelake tigerlake cooperlake sapphirerapids alderlake bonnell atom silvermont slm goldmont goldmont-plus tremont knl knm x86-64 x86-64-v2 x86-64-v3 x86-64-v4 eden-x2 nano nano-1000 nano-2000 nano-3000 nano-x2 eden-x4 nano-x4 k8 k8-sse3 opteron opteron-sse3 athlon64 athlon64-sse3 athlon-fx amdfam10 barcelona bdver1 bdver2 bdver3 bdver4 znver1 znver2 znver3 btver1 btver2 native
make[2]: *** [Kbuild:44: lib/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Makefile:1263: prepare0] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/sslerose/RedPitaya/tmp/u-boot-xlnx-redpitaya-v2016.4.1'
make: *** [Makefile.x86:373: tmp/u-boot.elf] Error 2
I have tried looking for the source of the error within the code so that I may change it, but I can't seem to find it, and the solutions I have found (namely this solution from Nils Roos) have not worked for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For reference, I am running WSL with Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on a Windows 10 desktop.

33dnp

Re: Running into 'bad value' error when installing Makefile.x86

Post by 33dnp » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:27 am

Hi

I see that you are using the wrong compiler to build the kernel.
You have a gcc compiler for the x86 architecture, but you need it for the arm architecture

You can used scripts for easy build ecosystem
https://github.com/RedPitaya/RedPitaya/ ... ld_scripts

sslerose

Post by sslerose » Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:14 am

Apologies for the time since you replied, I have been bogged down by my other college work.

In my case (as detailed somewhat in my original post) I have succeeded in the automatic build process in 3.2.2.4.2 as detailed here. I.e.,

cd ./RedPitaya/build_scripts
sudo ./build_Z10.sh
worked as expected.

So are you saying that if I have already ran the build script to completion, then I don't need to do anything else with the Makefiles? I.e.,

make -f Makefile.x86 install
or

make -f Makefile.x86 fpga
is redundant and will not work based on my architecture.

If so, I appreciate the input. Otherwise, please elaborate on your post. I am not super familiar with Linux other than my work done with the Red Pitaya, so architecture aren't quite as intuitive to me.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:25 pm

We forwarded the question to our developers. Unfortunately, there will be some time until they can answer as they are on vacation.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie