Question on the Verilog arithmetics in PID source files

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
Ubix2014

Question on the Verilog arithmetics in PID source files

Post by Ubix2014 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi,

I am trying to udertand the source code for the PID block. The red_pitaya_pid_block module has 3 parameters: PSR, ISR and DSR. Do you use them to denote the fraction bits in the fixed-point arithmetics? Otherwise, I can't understand this
kp_reg <= kp_mult[29-1:PSR] ;

However, the set point parameter set_sp_i according to the C-code
{ /* pid_NN_sp - PID NN set-point in [ADC] counts. */
"pid_11_sp", 0, 1, 0, -8192, 8191 },
looks like a number without fraction. The same for the P, I, D coefficients.

Cam someone clarify the purpose of PSR, ISR and DSR parameters?

Nils Roos

Re: Question on the Verilog arithmetics in PID source files

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:08 pm

To me, these parameters look like they are intended to control the relative scaling of the P, I, and D components.

If you follow the logic operations with the given parameters, you will find that in the calculation of the final control value the relative weights of P : I : D are 8 : 1 : 32 - this is a consequence of the number of bits that are used from each multiplication result.
I assume this was done to account for the typical magnitudes of the components for comparable amplification factors (kp, ki, kd) - usually you have derivative < proportional < integral. To put it the other way round, this scaling helps to normalize the respective ranges of the kp, ki, kd values.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie