Remote debugging from Windows OS

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
Jindra.Brablik

Remote debugging from Windows OS

Post by Jindra.Brablik » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:42 am

Hi,

I am trying to degub applications remotely from win 7 64- bit OS according to developer guided posted on http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... or_Windows.
I went through all the steps several times, but when I run debugger I always recieve error message:

Last login: Tue Oct 13 04:57:23 2015 from 192.168.1.223
echo $PWD'>'

chmod 777 /tmp/generate;gdbserver :2345 /tmp/generate 1 1 1 sine;exit

redpitaya> echo $PWD'>'
/root>
redpitaya>
redpitaya> chmod 777 /tmp/generate;gdbserver :2345 /tmp/generate 1 1 1 sine;exit
Process /tmp/generate created; pid = 19155
Cannot exec /tmp/generate: Exec format error.

Child exited with status 127
No program to debug. GDBserver exiting.
logout

Could someone please tell me what could be wrong? I am running version 0.94-RC22-Dec-2015 on Red Pitaya. I also noticed that the developer guide was last modified on 14 July 2014, at 11:45. Is it still actual?

Thanks for replies.

Nils Roos

Re: Remote debugging from Windows OS

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:24 pm

I am running version 0.94-RC22-Dec-2015 on Red Pitaya. I also noticed that the developer guide was last modified on 14 July 2014, at 11:45. Is it still actual?
No, the wiki is still targetted at the 0.93 ecosystem, and there have been significant changes since that version - see the notice on the wiki's main page.

In particular, the instructions for setting up the development environment are not applicable anymore. Download and install the 4.9-2014.11 version of linaro for mingw and configure your project to use that toolchain.

Also, this thread deals with problems similar to yours.

Jindra.Brablik

Post by Jindra.Brablik » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi Nils and thank you for your reply.

I did all the steps from the other thread, but still nothing.

Is it even posible to remote debugg c code from win 7 64 - bit OS or do I have to create virtual image of linux ubuntu 64-bit and do it from there.

I am new to all this so I maybe missunderstood some basic things.

Again thank you for your reply.

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:12 am

Hi Jindra,

today I experimented a little, and it seems that debugging applications on the Red Pitaya is not easily achieved on a Windows host.

The main problem is that the linaro arm-linux-gnueabihf-gdb on Windows behaves very differently than its linux counterpart of the same version. The solution would be to build a new linaro gdb from source with an appropriate configuration (I think missing xml support is the cause of the problem).

If going the virtual ubuntu way is not too much trouble for you, I would recommend you do that.

Jindra.Brablik

Post by Jindra.Brablik » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi Nils,

well I will have to learn to work with linux, but I planned to do it anyway, so I guess it is not a problem.

Most important thing for me is that I know that the windows host is waste of time and now I can fully concentrate on linux .

Thank you for your experimenting and recommendation, it is very helpful. :-)

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie