USB Ports

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
aschuetz

USB Ports

Post by aschuetz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm

Dear all,

I'm confused about the USB ports of the RP. There is a micro USB port next to the power supply which can be used for the serial console. I'm using SSH via RJ45 and want to use the USB port (Type A) to control another devices. Currently I'm using a raspberry pi but I also want to do it directly from the RP.

Code: Select all

redpitaya> lsusb
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
I can see the USB->Serial converter but I expect something like "ttyUSB0" like the raspberry pi shows it to me. Most of the people are interested into a connection between their computer and RP via USB. Does someone know what is going on?

Thanks,
Alex

aschuetz

Re: USB Ports

Post by aschuetz » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:25 pm

Maybe it's the same problem which was discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1357

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Just to clear things up a bit: you want to connect a USB-to-serial converter (with an attached serial device) to the USB A socket ?

In that case, you are indeed in the same situation as the thread you linked.
The only way to get your converter recognized is to recompile the kernel with appropriate drivers configured. I've tried it and could then see my PL2303 device as ttyUSB0. If your converter is PL2303- or FTDI-based, I could upload a modified ecosystem for you to use.

aschuetz

Post by aschuetz » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:36 am

Good morning Nils,

I have some hardware with an integrated "Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC" to control it. Currently I use a Raspberry Pi where I use USB Type A -> USB Type B. But the RP does not show me ttyUSB* with the same setup even though "lsusb" shows me the correct device.

I could use the microUSB -> USB Type A to connect my Raspberry Pi to the RP. But the RP is Debian based as well and offers everything I need as well. So I'm interested into your recompiled image.

Do you know the reason for the behaviour/restriction of the USB ports?

Regards,
Alex

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:51 am

Hi Alex,
Do you know the reason for the behaviour/restriction of the USB ports?
The linux kernel of the Red Pitaya ecosystem is built with only a few drivers for external peripheral devices included - eg. for some wifi adapters and some generic storage drivers.

I think the FT232 that you have on your board is covered by the FTDI driver. I'll post an ecosystem with a suitable kernel later.
Nils

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie