High-speed waveform averaging on the Red Pitaya

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
Hawkes

High-speed waveform averaging on the Red Pitaya

Post by Hawkes » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:27 pm

Hi,

I would like to use the Red Pitaya for the following task: Acquiring up to 50000 samples from the ADC @ 125 MS/s when a trigger event occurs. The acquired waveforms should be averaged (added) in a buffer and transferred to a connected PC after the acquisition has finished. The trigger rate can be between 1 kHz to 10 kHz. Can someone give me a hint how to implement this task with the Red Pitaya?

pavel

Re: High-speed waveform averaging on the Red Pitaya

Post by pavel » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:41 pm

I'm doing something similar in my scanning system project. I'm using an accumulator IP core to sum a configurable number of ADC samples. In this project, the trigger signal is generated internally but it shouldn't be very difficult to replace it with an external trigger signal.

Hawkes

Post by Hawkes » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:14 am

Ok, it seems that I finally have to learn FPGA development. Maybe one could also do this with a modification of the axi_code from Nils Roos?

I will have a look.

jerzydziewierz

Post by jerzydziewierz » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:35 am

to acquire 50k samples AND do processing on them, there could be several approaches,

the one most promising at the moment is,

take the rp_remote_acquire module, modify it so that it supports trigger that simply zeroes the write-to-location pointer,
then use a second buffer and ask the CPU1 to accumulate the samples into it once you get a hint that acquisition has finished.
use a second thread on CPU0 to monitor the entire process and communicate the accumulator-buffer to the host.

Sounds easy, but that's easily a few weeks of work.
Welcome to the world of instrument prototyping :-) let us know if you undertake to do this this at all. To be honest, using a real oscilloscope will probably save you money overall . . . . RP's real power is in doing signal processing of the kind that you cannot find off-the-shelf (e.g. 50MHz PID, or 30MHz SDR), and of course, that it is cool DIY :-)

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie