PYNQ for Red Pitaya board?

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
dnhkng

PYNQ for Red Pitaya board?

Post by dnhkng » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 am

Hi,

Is there a direct port of the PYNQ project to the Red Pitaya board? I want a stripped down version to develop on, without the extra web services offered in the Red Pitaya distro.

Thanks,
David

dnhkng

Re: PYNQ for Red Pitaya board?

Post by dnhkng » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:13 pm

What I'm referring to is this the article at

pynq.readthedocs.io @ /en/v2.1/pynq_sd_card.html#retargeting-to-a-different-board
(sorry for the formatting, I can't post URL's)

Has anyone with Linux experience done a port yet?

sixtimesseven

Post by sixtimesseven » Sat May 18, 2019 5:38 pm

I second this!

Please dev team - Make the RP Pynq compatible.
The digilent pynq boards are good but ADC / DAC would be a killer feature for an easy to use and adapt data recording / dsp solution.

The Xilinx tools are overkill and very confusing for a lot if not most current and potential rp users.

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun May 19, 2019 4:46 pm

The Xilinx tools are overkill and very confusing for a lot if not most current and potential rp users.
Even with PYNQ, the Xilinx tools are still required to develop custom applications. The elements of a custom hybrid package for PYNQ can be found on page 13 in the PYNQ Workshop introduction slides. Here are these elements:
  • bitstream
  • metadata file
  • C driver
  • Jupyter notebook
The bitstream development is still done with the Xilinx tools.

So, for example, if I want to develop a SDR or VNA application for the Red Pitaya board based on PYNQ, I still have to use Vivado Design Suite to build the FPGA configurations. Moreover, I have to deal with the slowness of Python running on the relatively slow on-board CPU.

BTW. According to the Red Pitaya documentation, it's already possible to run Jupyter on the Red Pitaya board. So, it's already possible to test a setup very similar to PYNQ.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie