Choosing Python/Matlab/etc. or VHDL/Verilog to minimize timing delay

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
Schrodinger1933

Choosing Python/Matlab/etc. or VHDL/Verilog to minimize timing delay

Post by Schrodinger1933 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:38 am

Hello all,

I am planning on implementing a moderately sized look-up table that, corresponding to the measured input over a designated range of time, outputs a unique signal. Conceptually this is not very difficult, but I need to make the time delay between signal detected and corresponding signal output as small as possible. I understand that Red Pitaya supports python, matlab, etc. in addition to VHDL or Verilog. I have experience with coding in python, but am new to HDL, so for ease of use I would definitely prefer to use python- however, if coding in VHDL would provide a notable advantage time-wise, I will take that into consideration as well. I have not been able to find documentation that explains which approach would be better (in terms of minimizing delay time), so if any one has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. I'd imagine using a HDL would minimize the delay from input to output, but if the difference in delay is not notable, that would influence my decision.

For context:
-I am using a STEMLab 125-14 V1.0 Red Pitaya device.
-An output must be generated every 10 useconds, or 100,000 outputs per second.
-The input sampling rate is 100,000 samples per second.

Thank you for any and all suggestions.

scietech

Re: Choosing Python/Matlab/etc. or VHDL/Verilog to minimize timing delay

Post by scietech » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:52 pm

Hello ,
I didn't quite understand your exact need. But if you want to do work in “real time” (with delays less than µs), you absolutely have to do it in the FPGA (in verilog/VHDL).

I have a program, which generates a signal, on an input level. I get a delay of 200ns.

But what you have to see is that Python (or C) is an overlay to your FPGA program, nothing prevents you from keeping a Python program to handle functions that are not in real time.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie