Hardware Interrupts from PL to PS

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
renegade264

Hardware Interrupts from PL to PS

Post by renegade264 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 pm

Hi,

I have designed a custom FPGA block design in Vivado and it communicates with a C server running on the Red Pitaya SDR and it is working pretty well, however I have identified two areas of major power usage on the PS side. Firstly I am polling the a finish state in the status register like so

Code: Select all

if ((*sts_flags & 0b00000001) == 0b00000001){
, however this max's out the CPU usage on one core since this statement is in an infinite while loop. Secondly, I have the other CPU core in a different thread, probing the network socket to see if control packets are available, this is also in quite an inefficient while loop with a usleep statement:

Code: Select all

go = recv(sock_client, cmd_recv, RECV_PCKT_SIZE, MSG_DONTWAIT);
, therefore my total PS CPU usage it at 100%. I have experimented with the flags on the recv function but I haven't had much luck, I will continue to look into this and post the result. Either way my C program works and everything works as expected for the most, I am just unsatisfied with the two while loops and polling setup.

Nevertheless, my main question is how can I setup hardware interrupts from the PL to PS, in total I will have 4 interrupt signals to map. From reading this: https://redpitaya.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... o/uio.html I am guessing I will have to make some modifications to the device tree and Kernel, having a browse through the vivado interface I see this section in PS configuration (attached), I guess I will also have to modify my design to route through the GPIO rather than the sts register. I have also read a lot the posts regarding interrupts on this forum. So I am wondering what exactly do I need to do to setup hardware interrupts before I embark on quite a big adventure to attempt this and secondly, if anyone has actually done it from the PL to PS successfully?

Best Regards, Ren

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie