Newbi questions

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
ik2ncj

Newbi questions

Post by ik2ncj » Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 am

Hallo folks
I am new to RP and all is around it.
I have purchased a 125-14 and main intention is to monitor FT8 and send data to pskreporter.
I have installed Pavel OS succesfully and started to send data to pskreporter.
BTW I am not sure if all is ok.
First of all if I access my RP the screen is not icons but a list of software availbale.
Is this correct view of it (mean installation on SD is done correctly)?
To launch a program is it just necessary to click on one software name?
How can I set a program to start automatically when RP is re-booted?

TNX and 73
Luca

pavel

Re: Newbi questions

Post by pavel » Sun May 09, 2021 8:18 am

ik2ncj wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 7:39 am
First of all if I access my RP the screen is not icons but a list of software availbale.
Is this correct view of it (mean installation on SD is done correctly)?
Yes, it's correct.
ik2ncj wrote:
To launch a program is it just necessary to click on one software name?
Yes.
ik2ncj wrote:
How can I set a program to start automatically when RP is re-booted?
To start sdr_transceiver_ft8 automatically at boot time, copy apps/sdr_transceiver_ft8/start.sh to the topmost directory on the SD card.

Normally, this information is already present in the getting started instructions at this link.

ik2ncj

Post by ik2ncj » Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Hallo Pavel

thanks for the answer.
Good to know installation is correct.

Best 73's
Luca

HPL

Post by HPL » Fri May 14, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi together,

I am almost in the same situation, but with wspr instead of ft8. As newbe to the pitaya i am very confused to see no usefull information in the browser at all (is wspr configured right? is it recieving? sending? working at all?)
I hate using linux, and when i bought the pitaya i thought it would be just as easy to use wspr as it is to use the oscilloscope and other apps on it.
So I dived into this and got the recieving part working and reporting, but now I want to send too.
after executing the transmit-wspr.sh i get the following output:

rp-xxxxxx:/media/mmcblk0p1/apps# ./sdr_transceiver_wspr/transmit-wspr.sh
Fri May 14 21:00:50 UTC 2021
Sleeping ...
Fri May 14 21:01:01 UTC 2021
Transmitting ...
rp-xxxxxx:/media/mmcblk0p1/apps#

ist this normal? am I sending? or did the script just terminate? very very confusing :cry:

73, Hans

pavel

Post by pavel » Sat May 15, 2021 10:06 am

The WSPR transmission functionality is intended for use only by advanced operators who clearly understand what they are doing. It can be enabled by editing the wspr.cron configuration file.

rdavies6

Post by rdavies6 » Mon May 24, 2021 9:54 am

Pavel (& Red Pitaya!)

Thank you for sharing the gift of your wonderful software with the amateur radio community. Your instructions were excellent, and it didn't take too much time to set up a receiver to skim FT8 spots (once I had worked out some foibles of my own home network setup).

For a (potentially very small audience!) of other newbies who have Cisco switches with PortFast capability, one trap that might occur is to forget to turn PortFast on for the port the Red Pitaya is connected to. Whilst PCs, SBCs and other devices might work successfully with PortFast turned off...Pavel's software does not...and whilst all the red Pitaya hardware lights up as though everything is working, the device can't complete a DHCP request correctly, can't be accessed, and stubbornly refuses to run the FT8 software. The confusing thing is that the Red Pitaya loaded with the Red Pitaya OS does obtain a proper DHCP allocation with PortFast turned off. How do I know all of this...it turned a 10 minute setup into a 6 hour head scratching fest yesterday :D. I thought I'd share to save any other newbie a frustrating exercise in troubleshooting their own mis-administration of their switch....

Skimming working fine for an indoor 60cm passive loop antenna, depth=1 and no 14:1 impedance transformer installed (yet). Fan ordered to keep the RP a little cooler as well :)

Robin
G7VKQ

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie