Simplest SDR for Radio Astronomy

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
unimatrix000

Simplest SDR for Radio Astronomy

Post by unimatrix000 » Tue May 16, 2023 1:09 pm

Hi I have a 125-14 on loan for evaluation for a simple radio astronomy project. I am very impressed with the RP so far, excellent build quality and support... ;) I have a few observations and questions:

1 I installed the latest OS 1.04-18 on the RP, and can log in via a terminal, and use the web menu of apps.

2 I have run the RP in transceiver mode (option 2) and fed the Rx output to GNUradio via its gr-osmosdr block, initially just displaying a spectrum and waterfall. This seems to work ok (spectrum displayed), except that the bandwidth is very narrow, presumably because it is a transceiver, expecting only an audio passband? I'm assuming that this option can't be modified to suit my needs.

3 Ideally I need (only) a simple Rx that can be connected to GNUradio, to give say a bandwidth of 10MHz at 14 bits. (more b/w would be good, 5MHz minimum) I see from the web menu of my RP that there is only an SDR Rx (option 4) to connect via HPSDR, but I'd rather keep everything as simple as possible and use gr-osmosdr, which already works! I think I found an SDR Rx on the menu of another RP model, but why isn't it available on the 125-14? How could I activate that option?

4 Maybe you have other suggestions?

Thank you!
Laurence

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: Simplest SDR for Radio Astronomy

Post by redpitaya » Fri May 19, 2023 9:27 am

Please look at Pavel Demin's Alpine version of the OS and his GitHub page (the Tx and Rx transceiver are described there):
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pitaya-notes

pavel

Post by pavel » Fri May 19, 2023 10:10 am

Thank you for posting the link to my projects.

However, I do not have a project that meets all the requirements listed in the original post.

The only wideband receiver project capable of the 10 MHz bandwidth that I have requires the SDRlab 122-16 board. Here is a link to the source code of this project:

https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... ide_122_88

unimatrix000

Post by unimatrix000 » Sun May 21, 2023 1:18 pm

Hi Pavel Thanks for getting back to me. That's a pity, I was hoping to use the 125-14. I will have a look at the project you mention. Laurence

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie