RedPitaya continuously rebooting when no 125 MHz ADC clock

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
abregnsbo

RedPitaya continuously rebooting when no 125 MHz ADC clock

Post by abregnsbo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:16 pm

In my application I need to slave the 125 MHz ADC clock to the output from the Zynq (R25/R26 removed, R27/R28 22 ohm).

However, with this modification the Red Pitaya continuously reboot. Booting progresses normally: the yellow SD card activity LED flashes vigorously and the red CPU heartbeat has a 0.8 Hz double-blink. Then the yellow SD card turns on permanently, while the red CPU heartbeat stops blinking. This persists 3-4 seconds and then the Red Pitaya reboots.

As I understand it the PS runs on a separate PS_CLK. Why should it care if PL does not get its 125 MHz clock ? Who controls the red CPU heartbeat LED ? Is some Linux software launched that tries to access the PL, causing the cpu to hang because the AXI bus to the PL hangs ?

I have tried to disable programming of the PL by modifying sbin/startup.sh, but that did not help.

At one point the Red Pitaya booted successfully, and I was able to login with ssh. When I did a "monitor 0x40000030" command to read from a memory mapped PL address, I saw the same behaviour: yellow SD card turning on, red CPU heartbeat stop flashing, and reboot after a couple of seconds.

abregnsbo

Re: RedPitaya continuously rebooting when no 125 MHz ADC clock

Post by abregnsbo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:32 pm

During a normal boot the red CPU heartbeat blinks for 14 cycles. The Red Pitaya that reboots, hangs after 6-7 heartbeat cycles. I surmise that halfway during booting some program or driver reads from the PL address range.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: RedPitaya continuously rebooting when no 125 MHz ADC clock

Post by redpitaya » Fri Sep 22, 2023 11:38 am

Dear abregnsbo,

Thank you for contacting us through the forum. I apologise for the late reply.

The slave boards need a clock applied through the Sata extension connectors in order to function.

I am sorry to inform you that we cannot help further due to the board receiving hardware modifications not performed by the Red Pitaya team. There is a clear warning on the webpage next to the description of the possible modifications.

Here is a copy of the warning:
"We do not advise altering the board because users have reported problems after doing so. Every board made has undergone rigorous testing, which cannot be claimed for modified boards. Any non-Red Pitaya hardware modification will void the warranty, and we cannot guarantee support for modified boards."

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie