Bootable SD with Pavel Denim's

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
bdillmann

Bootable SD with Pavel Denim's

Post by bdillmann » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:59 pm

I want to install the alpine linux distribution by Pavel Demin in my SDR Ext Clock, I would like to know if the https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pit ... 240204.zip .zip archive that is to be copied to the SD has a boot image on it's own (like a debian installation) or if it is to be installed within an already bootable SD card. I mean it seems there is no .img within the zip archive. The procedure for "copy" is unknow to me, shall it be "dd" ?

Seems stupid but I have tried with several methods including UUByte DMG Editor and I do no not get a stable bootable image from the nice work of Pavel.

Please help me, I do not understand these instructions...
http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya-notes/alpine/

Dillmann

pavel

Re: Bootable SD with Pavel Denim's

Post by pavel » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Thank you for trying my SD card image. It looks like you are trying to do some extra steps that are not in my instructions.

I have intentionally made the installation instructions as simple as I could: simply take a freshly unpacked factory formatted micro SD and unpack the .zip file into it.

The word "copy" simply means to copy. Nothing more complicated. It is "cp" not "dd".

I think in most modern operating systems you just click on the .zip file to see its contents. Then simply select all files and directories in the .zip file (Ctrl+A or similar), copy them (Ctrl+C or similar), then paste them to the micro SD card (Ctrl+V or similar).

If using the command line, change the current directory to the micro SD card and unzip the .zip file:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/sd/card
unzip /path/to/zip/file/red-pitaya-alpine-3.18-armv7-20240204.zip
Please also see the Troubleshooting section at the last link in your post. This section contains additional information that might be helpful.

The definition of the bootable micro SD card for the Zynq-7000 chip is quite simple:
  • the first partition should contain the FAT file system
  • the filesystem on the first partition should contain a file called boot.bin
Any freshly unpacked factory formatted (single partition, FAT32 file system) micro SD card with boot.bin file is bootable.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie