Using RP for device triggering and anolog out.

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
drmick

Using RP for device triggering and anolog out.

Post by drmick » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi.

One of our projects uses a rather old (and increasingly difficult to support) DSP board to send TTL timing pulses and drive a couple of control voltages. I was wondering if Red Pitaya might be a good candidate to replace this old board.

I have experience developing for DSPs, but FPGAs look like a whole different game. The RP board has a bunch of digital I/O pins connected to the FPGA. Is it possible to get realtime control over these lines by implementing only the 'Controller' level and up in the application structure (see http://wiki.redpitaya.com/index.php?tit ... ucture.png), or would I need to develop a modified FPGA image? Has anyone tried this?

Cheers,

-Mick.

Nils Roos

Re: Using RP for device triggering and anolog out.

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:25 pm

In the standard-issue Red Pitaya, you already have controller-level access to the data- and direction-registers of the 16 general purpose digital IO lines on the expansion connector 1. You also have access to the data registers of the auxiliary analog input and output channels of which there are four each on expansion connector 2.

If the capabilities of these ports suit your needs, you wont need to change anything in the FPGA.

drmick

Re: Using RP for device triggering and anolog out.

Post by drmick » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:19 pm

Awesome - just what I needed to know. Thanks!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie