Getting Started with RP FPGA Programming

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
john k2ox

Getting Started with RP FPGA Programming

Post by john k2ox » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:08 pm

I bought my board with the idea that it has all the hardware to sample RF with the high speed ADCs and use FPGA DSP techniques to demod the signals.

I was hoping that a lot of people would have had the same idea, but I don't see that happening. If there are lingerers out there please speak up.

As far as development goes it appears that the Xilinx ISE and Vivado are the tools. I have used the ISE webpack with the Papilio Pro board. Looking forward, should I be using ISE(no longer being developed) or Vivado?

As for programming the Zync, it looks like there are two choices, write to a mem card on a PC then move it to the RP to load it and JTAG. I'm thinking that the mem card technique will be really slow and probably wear out the connector before I get anything working. Is it as bad as I'm thinking? Is JTAG the way to go or is there another way?

I see $30 Xilinx (Chinese?) JTAG programmers on eBay. Do they work? Any low cost known working solutions?

BTW. There is a new book. 'The Zync Book' at http://www.zynqbook.com/ it's free to download.

Lots of questions. I look forward to getting this project rolling.

TIA,
John

Nils Roos

Re: Getting Started with RP FPGA Programming

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Once you have a working SD-card, you do not need to remove it from the RP to update it.
If you can boot the RP into linux and attach it to a network, you can update the software on the SD-card remotely by (re-)mounting it writable and do whatever you need to do with it.

john k2ox

Re: Getting Started with RP FPGA Programming

Post by john k2ox » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie