xdevcfg?

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
john k2ox

xdevcfg?

Post by john k2ox » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:44 pm

After building red_pitaya_top.bit in Vidado and using progmem to convert it to a bin file, what does the following do command do?

'cat red_pitaya_top.bin > /dev/xdevcfg'

Is 'red_pitaya_top.bin' the entire Red Pitaya pl or just the pl of 'red_pitaya_top.v'?

TIA,
John

Nils Roos

Re: xdevcfg?

Post by Nils Roos » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:03 pm

The red_pitaya_top.bit and ...bin files contain the complete PL definition. The project root "red_pitaya_top.v" binds all the other *.v files together, so the generated output is named after it.

By loading it into /dev/xdevcfg you reprogram the entire FPGA.

john k2ox

Post by john k2ox » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Nils,
I really appreciate your help. I'm finally feeling like I'm getting close to actually creating my own code.

If I understand correctly. This is a technique for getting FPGA code into PL during the development phase.
Once I'm satisfied with the PL code, is the next step to create a boot-able image.

Is that procedure outlined anywhere on the WIKI?

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:46 pm

John, glad to hear that you are making progress.

The "GNU Make" paragraph in the FPGA development environment chapter describes the process very superficially.

I am not sure if this works without problems on a windows box. On my machine at least I needed to patch some things to get u-boot to build. The patches I wrote at the time may help you, I will try it again when I find the time.

The result of the build are the files boot.bin and device_tree.dtb, which you install by copying them into the SD-card's root directory.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie