SDK Question

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
john k2ox

SDK Question

Post by john k2ox » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:29 pm

After creating the PL in Vivado and exporting it to SDK and filling in all the project details it's apparent that I must be doing something wrong. Following the wiki and other processes on the internet for PL/PS development they all start and end at the same place. Setting up the IDE from scratch for your first project.

What I need help with is a way to set up SDK for developing RP applications. So far if I try to do a series of 'Lab Examples' I have to setup the 'Run' , 'Debug' configurations and tool chain stuff for each example. Is there a way to recall the configuration setups?

There has to be a better way. Setting up the SDK each time is taking more time than creating source code.

TIA,
john

Nils Roos

Re: SDK Question

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi John,
I don't know what your current process is, but setting up the SDK for RedPitaya application development can be fairly simple:

1. set up a hardware platform specification
Start a new hardware platform specification project
2. give it a name and point to the hardware definition from Vivado
Point SDK to the exported hardware definition
Now you have a new hardware platform, for which you can build application projects.
3. For a new program, select "New" -> "Application project" and set the hardware- and OS-platform
Create a new Application project with the hardware platform and OS platform
Hardware should be your new platform from step 2 and OS should be linux.

4. Compiler settings and OS include paths are already set correctly, put in sourcecode and hit "Build"
SDK is ready to go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

john k2ox

Post by john k2ox » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:46 pm

Wow! Those are new buttons to me.

I've finally got my head around 'workspaces'. It contains the 'setup' info and folders for different projects. I was creating separate workspaces for each project.

There is a way to make my 'Visual Studio' way of thinking work. To have common debug and run configurations work across workspaces. In the 'run and debug configuration' windows choose the common tab and set the 'save as' radio button to 'shared file'. Then enter a directory.

Thanks again for you help, Nils.

Regards,
john

kavilshah

Post by kavilshah » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:44 pm

hey....
i could not find FPGA/release1/fpga/vivado/red_pitaya.sdk/SDK/SDK_Export/hw/......file...

till "SDK_Export " i could reach....but further ...????

where it is available???

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:53 pm

Hi,
The hardware definition is generated by Vivado. Sorry, I forgot about that part.

To build it, do the following:
  1. start Vivado
  2. open the red_pitaya project
  3. open the block design system.bd (IP Integrator->Open Block Design)
  4. generate the block design (IP Integrator->Generate Block Design)
  5. export the hardware definition (File->Export->Export Hardware for SDK...)
Or you use this archive (generated from a pristine checkout):
hw.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kavilshah

Post by kavilshah » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:22 pm

okk

so i need to install vivado also??i have installed xilinx SDK 2013.3.. as u suggested me...!!

Arnold

Post by Arnold » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:38 pm

hi,

can you put Nils Roos post into the wiki? I guess many people will use Xilinx SDK?!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie