Install Script Interpreters in Red Pitaya.

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
SEUTec

Install Script Interpreters in Red Pitaya.

Post by SEUTec » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi all:

It it possible the use of other script interpreters in Red Pitaya ?
Such as bash, ksh, csh, tcsh, python, etc.. ?
My Red Pitaya only have sh.
Can I install python on it ?

Thanks.

Nils Roos

Re: Install Script Interpreters in Red Pitaya.

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:54 pm

Persistently installing regular packages on the Red Pitaya at runtime is not possible, because the OS runs from a ramdisk.

It may be possible to build a python interpreter into the ramdisk image; there are python-related config options in the buildroot configuration file.

excerpt from OS/buildroot/config:

Code: Select all

# BR2_PACKAGE_XAVANTE is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_PERL is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_PHP is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_PYTHON is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_PYTHON3 is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_RUBY is not set
# BR2_PACKAGE_TCL is not set
They are listed under the lua section, so these might be dependencies required by lua.

I suggest asking somebody familiar with the buildroot environment about how to include python.

SEUTec

Post by SEUTec » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:55 pm

Ok. Thanks.

pavel-demin

Post by pavel-demin » Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:37 pm

Hi,

I asked myself exactly the same question when I started to experiment with my Red Pitaya.

The easiest solution that I found so far is to install a Debian based distribution on the Red Pitaya SD card. In the same way as it is done for other ARM-based cards (Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, etc).

I installed Debian Wheezy and I have access to all the additional libraries, scripting languages and other tools from the Debian repository without having to compile them myself.

Recently, I posted some information about my setup in the 'General discussions' section of this forum:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=388

My notes on how to build a bootable SD card with Debian Wheezy can be found at:

http://pavel-demin.github.io/red-pitaya ... d-blinker/

May be it's slightly off-topic, but I also would like to mention that I'm currently working on a set of IP cores that will allow to build data processing chains using the Vivado IP Integrator and all the Xilinx DSP IP cores (CIC, CORDIC, DDS, FIR, FFT, etc). The source code of my IP cores can be found at:

https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... elop/cores

It's still a work in progress, but it's already possible to dump the ADC data directly to DDR using theses cores.

Regards,

Pavel

SEUTec

Post by SEUTec » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:33 pm

Can I complile, install and run bash, csh, etc... as any other comand line utility ?

Thanks.

pavel-demin

Post by pavel-demin » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:53 pm

If your question is about my last comment and Debian, then yes, you can install bash, csh, python, etc.

You can find a list of all the available packages at

https://packages.debian.org/stable/

SEUTec

Post by SEUTec » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes, and Not.
I have downloaded the bash soruce files.
I have compiled it in Linux Ubuntu 14.04 with crosscompile as the other command line utilitie for Red Pitaya.
Then have copied the executable file to the Red Pitaya, but don't works fine. I get an Error.
The obtained bin file works fine on the ubuntu host, but don't work on Red Pitaya Xilinx.
I suppose that I need change somethin in the compilation configuration to get a Xilinx working bin file, compiled in another machine.

Regards.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie