building a working buildroot image

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
melko

building a working buildroot image

Post by melko » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:14 am

Hi all, has someone achieved to build a working image from buildroot?
I've tried with the provided config file, but my RP doesn't boot with the output uramdisk image...
One thing that made me suspicious was that in the config Big Endian is set for the ARM architecture, but as far I can tell it should be Little Endian, though changing that resulted in a non-booting image as well.

Any hint on what to look at?

Nils Roos

Re: building a working buildroot image

Post by Nils Roos » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:09 am

Hi melko,

I've got a couple of questions regarding your buildroot build problem:
1. Did you try to build the buildroot included with the Red Pitaya sourcetree or did you use another version ?
2. Did you go through the top-level Red Pitaya Makefile ("make build/uramdisk.image.gz") and prepared your environment accordingly ?
3. Can you connect your computer to the Red Pitaya via USB and observe / copy-and-post the output ?

I tried the original buildroot (2014.02) and a current version (2014.11, configured for best overlap with the old version) with the "make build/uramdisk.image.gz" method just now, and both produced viable images.

Cheers
Nils

melko

Re: building a working buildroot image

Post by melko » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Nils Roos wrote:Hi melko,

I've got a couple of questions regarding your buildroot build problem:
1. Did you try to build the buildroot included with the Red Pitaya sourcetree or did you use another version ?
2. Did you go through the top-level Red Pitaya Makefile ("make build/uramdisk.image.gz") and prepared your environment accordingly ?
3. Can you connect your computer to the Red Pitaya via USB and observe / copy-and-post the output ?

I tried the original buildroot (2014.02) and a current version (2014.11, configured for best overlap with the old version) with the "make build/uramdisk.image.gz" method just now, and both produced viable images.

Cheers
Nils
Hi Nils,

1) yeah I used the one from the RP source tree (the first build I ran, I didn't change anything of the default config)
2) yeah I did run make build/uramdisk.image.gz from the toplevel, this after changing the compiler path in the config file, and sourcing the Vivado init script. The image had been generated correctly.

3) Just tried now with an usb cable, and surprise... seems the Red Pitaya started just fine,
the issue seems to be with the network, in fact I see this message through the serial console:

/etc/init.d/S40network: source: line 3: can't open '/opt/etc/network/config'

so that's why I coudn't reach it through ssh, and led me to believe it wasn't booting at all

EDIT: just copied the missing files and everything went fine

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie