FPGA library

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
makkie2002

FPGA library

Post by makkie2002 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am

Hi,

I am starting to enjoy the RedPitaya system as it allows me to learn about FPGA design.
I can use the already build FPGA project to make modifications ... which is a great way to learn!

However I find the design loop very long: edit-compile-upload-test----edit-compile-test----.... For instance, when I make a modification in the Verilog code, I have to "recompile" the entire FPGA design. I have the impression that the Verilog files that were not touched are also recompiled. It takes around 10 minutes to complete the loop (I have a system that is 8 years old :?). Is there not and FPGA equivalent of dll's or lib's? Things that are already compiled don't need to be recompiled again to speedup the build process?

Regards

Marc

Nils Roos

Re: FPGA library

Post by Nils Roos » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Hi Marc,

fellow Red Pitaya user hmaarrfk did some experiments with incremental compilation of the fpga bitstream.

Take a look at his thread (FPGA incremental build) with a link to his github fork.

Other than that, the closest thing to libraries in Vivado are block designs and IP blocks. But to benefit from these mechanics, you would need to rewrite much of the existing fpga codebase.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie