Reprogramming FPGA

Applications, development tools, FPGA, C, WEB
jmadsenee

Reprogramming FPGA

Post by jmadsenee » Wed May 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi All,

I am new to Linux, and I must not be as smart as I thought I was.... I am trying to reprogram the FPGA. Looking at the wiki and forum, it looks like it should be easy: cat red_pitaya_top.bin > /dev/xdevcfg. Do I do it from my host computer or redpitaya? If I do it from my host computer I get: bash: /dev/xdevcfg: Permission denied. If I do it from red pitaya I get: cat: can't open 'red_pitaya_top.bin': No such file or directory. I assume I have to be in the directory that contains red_pitaya_top.bin to run the command....

Also, the wiki shows running the cat command then killall nginx, then restarting nginx. I assume I'm supposed to kill it before the cat command, then restart? Does the cat command actually do the reloading? What if I had renamed the .bin file xdevcfg and then just copied it to the RP?

Thanks!

John

Nils Roos

Re: Reprogramming FPGA

Post by Nils Roos » Wed May 20, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi John,

First you need to copy the bin file to your Red Pitaya, eg with WinSCP (or the OSX equivalent in case you are on a Mac).
Then you execute the cat command in a shell on your Red Pitaya.
I assume I'm supposed to kill it before the cat command, then restart? Does the cat command actually do the reloading?
Yes (kill, cat, restart) and yes.
What if I had renamed the .bin file xdevcfg and then just copied it to the RP?
You'd have gotten an error, because xdevcfg is the frontend for a device driver, which can not be overwritten.

jmadsenee

Re: Reprogramming FPGA

Post by jmadsenee » Thu May 21, 2015 3:47 pm

Thanks, Nils!

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie