Constant DC at RF input for one signal, otherwise works fine

Discussions about active development projects
djsw

Constant DC at RF input for one signal, otherwise works fine

Post by djsw » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:00 am

I'm trying to sample an ultrasonic transducer using the RF input.

I've hooked an oscilloscope up to the output of the cable I want to use and I'm seeing a noisy DC signal at about 1.15V, except when I trigger the transducer, when I see the signal I want to be able to sample. When I connect that same cable to the RF input of the Red Pitaya, the Red Pitaya only sees a constant DC voltage for the entire buffer (literally buff == buff[i+1] for the entire buffer).

When nothing is connected to the RF input, the Red Pitaya sees a noisy DC signal at about -0.013V.

I swapped to Python and reconnected the transducer and I still saw the perfectly DC signal. I generated a waveform on the RF Output and sampled it on the RF Input using Python, and matplotlib was able to perfectly reconstruct it.

I'm at a loss for what the problem could possibly be. The Red Pitaya is apparently sampling correctly and the output of the cable I want to sample is apparently the correct signal, but for some reason when I plug the cable into the RF input, the Red Pitaya only sees a DC voltage that stays constant down to the smallest decimal place. Has anybody got any ideas?

hans.dorn@gmail.com

Re: Constant DC at RF input for one signal, otherwise works

Post by hans.dorn@gmail.com » Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:36 am

The RF inputs of the redpitaya are jumpered to +/- 1V range by default. The DC offset of 1.15V is just outside of that that range and causes the RF input to max out.
You could try jumpering the input to +/-20V, if the sensitivity is high enough with this setting, or better get rid of the DC voltage.

Cheers
Hans

djsw

Re: Constant DC at RF input for one signal, otherwise works

Post by djsw » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:39 am

That was the issue, thank you very much.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie