Improving built-in generate command

Discussions about active development projects
sobomax

Improving built-in generate command

Post by sobomax » Thu May 21, 2015 8:26 am

Hi, we are trying to use our RP board for some projects here as a signal generator, and ended up reworking quite large chunk of that code to provide more useful output. Our interest right now is to generate low-freq pulses of specific duty cycle, but we feel it's been pretty good improvement in general. The improvements made so far:

1. Existing anti-aliasing algorithm was rather naive and cryptic, as it involved bunch of hard-to-make-sense-of parameters that are probably crafted for some specific frequency around few MHz. That resulted in very lousy rise/fall time at lower frequencies, so that generated signal is more like trapezoid than real square wave. The fix was to use real digital LP filter instead with a well defined cut-off frequency. That's been done, and we are now getting consistent rise/fall time of around 15ns in all freq range from DC to max 62.5MHz.

1a. As a nice bonus, you can now request specific upper bandwidth, so for example if you are generating audio signal you can cut it off at 22kHz instead of having harmonics all the way up to 62.5MHz and beyond.

2. No way to generate specific duty cycle for sqr. Appropriate option has been implemented and works fine.

3. No way to add DC offset. Appropriate option has been implemented. Still bit TODO, I've been fooled by the "1 Vpp ==> 4000 DAC counts" comment in the code, it's basically off by the factor of 2 right now. In fact 1Vpp => *8000* DAC counts, from -4000 to 4000, so DC offset of 0.5 Volt is 4000 counts, not 2000.

4. In general the tool was not easy to extend due to rather simplistic parameters parsing code with each parameter taking a specific place. From what I've seen on the forum the previous attempts to improve it just whacked even more positional params, which is getting messier and messier to extend and use. Instead, I've added ability to pass named attribute-value param after signal type, so it's nice and clean, and can scale i.e.:

$ generate 1 2.0 3330.0 sqr dcycle=0.2 bw=22000.0 dcoff=0.12

Still TODO items:

5. synthesize_signal() is rather sub-optimal with regards to the double<->int conversions. Each generated sample goes through few rounding operations and then the code sparingly mixes doubles with ints in expressions etc, which is probably adding some round-off/quantization noise here and there. Instead, it should be (A) either going with integer ops all way down, or (B) just stick with doubles and convert into int once all math is done. That is something I'll be working on tomorrow, probably taking plan B. That should also make code more easy to follow and understand.

6. There is no reason why different kinds of signals be handled differently with regards to the anti-aliasing, so that that new filter code needs to apply to all cases not only sqr.

7. Apart from overall bandwidth limit, it would be nice to have specific control for the rise time/fall time for the sqr/triangle.

8. Add more signal types, e.g. sawtooth, which could be just sub-type of triangle with either rise or fall time = 0. Gotta check what others function gen provide.

9. Updated usage/documentation.

Code is here if somebody wants to test/explore/comment on:

https://github.com/sobomax/RedPitaya

I'm planning to make a pull request once it's been completed.

-Max

edgo

Re: Improving built-in generate command

Post by edgo » Thu May 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Max,

You might want to look at my calibration-aware generate here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=362

Also has DC offset. Sounds like you have done some good work, thanks!

Oh, and you may wish to calibrate your RP, too:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=510

edgo

sobomax

Post by sobomax » Thu May 21, 2015 11:47 pm

Hi edgo, yes, I've seen that project of yours, it would be nice to get that merged with mine at some point and get it accepted into the mainline perhaps.

I've done some more hacking today, got items (3), (5) and (6) completed and pushed into the github. I've also done some testing using FFT function in my scope to validate spectral content of the output (1GSa/s, 200MHz analog b/w). What I discovered was that the recursive filtering, while working fine at low frequencies is not adequate at high ones, since it introduces discontinuity in the signal between the last sample and the first one. So I scratched my head a little and then went on and replaced that with the low-pass filter based around FFT->drop bands->iFFT and that one worked exceptionally well!

I've run quick comparison between stock generate and my new one for frequencies 5, 10, 15, 25, 35, 45, 55 and 60MHz (square wave) and the results can be found in the following image:

The command used was something like this:
$ generate 1 1.0 5000000.0 sqr
[take shot]
$ /tmp/generate_new 1 1.0 5000000.0 sqr
[take shot. move to the next freq, repeat]

Left column is the stock anti-aliasing code and the right one is one from my fork. It is easily see a difference between the two starting with 10MHz, with the old code damping 3rd harmonic excessively and introducing lot of junk intermodulation products. It pretty much rolls downhill from that point on, with the stock code producing signal that gets noticeably worse at every next step. At around 35MHz it fully smears our the center frequency converting it into bunch of sub-harmonics, so that the scope could not properly pick up a signal to do a frequency counting anymore. That trend pretty much continues all the way up to 55MHz, at which point the new code still produces decent signal, while it's pretty much garbage with stock generate at that point. And only at around 60MHz the signal generated by the new code starts degrading, but that's kinda expected as we get closer and closer to the nyquist.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:59 pm

Hi,

Great work sobomax.
The comparison is interesting.
We will definitely test this code.

Many thanks for sharing.

Regards, Red Pitaya

PS: New wavefomrs are added in API-s and librp.so which will be open source in next realese.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie