What is Red Pitaya?

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
JohnHind

What is Red Pitaya?

Post by JohnHind » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:20 pm

I've been trying to choose between a Red Pitaya and a LabNation SmartScope for a few months now. I've bought far too much hardware which turned out not to be quite what I expected or was not easily usable and I am now very careful. I have concluded that what I wanted was really SC software running on RP hardware - the 'scope app for RP seemed functionally very basic and not terribly well designed, while the hardware for the SC seems comparatively under-specified (8-bit ADC and USB rather than Ethernet).

However homing in on a final decision and hoping that RP software would have moved on, I find that the RP web site has been completely revamped and as a result I no longer am confident I understand what RP is or what it costs. It used to be clear that it was a software defined oscilloscope with ancillary functions and the ability to be reprogrammed to act as a range of other laboratory instruments. Now I can find no information about oscilloscope functions or specifications and it seems to be re-positioned as a development board that you program yourself. It is unclear if you get any software at all included in the purchase of the board. The store seems to indicate that you have to pay extra for applications on top of the board price (except there is some odd and unexplained deal going on with Facebook). It is never made clear if the price of the software is for a perpetual license or is time limited in some way or if it includes future updates. Pricing in the store seems very random - the impedance analyzer add on is outrageously over-priced for what it is (and does not even seem to include software) while the sensor add on is a real bargain - and everything seems to be out of stock!

I do not know hat has happened to your revenue since the web site re-vamp, but it has certainly not made it any easier for me to come to a decision!

Nils Roos

Re: What is Red Pitaya?

Post by Nils Roos » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:52 pm

It used to be clear that it was a software defined oscilloscope with ancillary functions and the ability to be reprogrammed to act as a range of other laboratory instruments. Now I can find no information about oscilloscope functions or specifications and it seems to be re-positioned as a development board that you program yourself. It is unclear if you get any software at all included in the purchase of the board.
The open source Red Pitaya ecosystem with its set of free applications (plus contributions) is still there, slowly but steadily evolving. Maybe it is not perfectly clear from the Red Pitaya homepage, but you get the same or better functionality as in the past.

As for the remainder of your questions, I'll let the Red Pitayans answer.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: What is Red Pitaya?

Post by redpitaya » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi,

You are correct, we have moved on in a way to provide more professional WEB applications for Red Pitaya instruments and also we have upgraded our OS with new functionalities
such are SCPI commands and API-s. Also, there are new Apps, form us as form our users (SDR from Pavel and other apps...).
We have developed new versions of Oscilloscope & Signal Generator and Spectrum analyzer which are available for free (sharing on FB ) but not open source.
More about sharing on FB here: http://redpitaya.com/faq-page/#Software ... plications
In short Red Pitaya is still an MULTI INSTRUMENT AND DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM. Developing and working on Red Pitaya is now much easier than before.
For start here are some examples: http://redpitaya.com/examples-new.
All applications (except new Osc. and Spectrum an. ) are for free (you install them form our Marketplace) and open source.
When you obtain a license key for Osc. or Spectrum a. app. it is permanently and all future add-ons are included.
Regarding the price of Impedance analyzer extension board it is very simple: One Shunt resistor on the board cost cca 5.0 EUR and there are 10 of them.
For SMA connector and Kelvin cables you can check the price.
Yes, we are currently out of stock, but the Red Pitaya boards and KITS will be available in 15 -20 days.
You can see new Apps. in action on our videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpZSfEq8NmE

Hope I have answer to your questions, if not, just post new one ;)

All Best, RP

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie