Stand alone system: RP and iPad/tablet

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
ipisco

Stand alone system: RP and iPad/tablet

Post by ipisco » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:12 pm

I can't communicate with my RP with my iPad in a stand alone environment.
But first I telling you what I was able to do in the process to start this application.
1) At home initially I set the Direct wireless communication with my RP though the browser using
the 192.168.128.1 (here seems that the RP is able to communicate with the iPad only through browser )

2) After the RP indicate some message with the suggestion that require internet, I decided to make the communication though router then
3) I set up the RP SDcard to wireless communicate with the router adding the wpa_supplicant.conf file
then after rebooting the RP, I had my RP in my network at home
4) Then I set up the last option that is the connection of the RP with the router with a cable.
and everything is fine with a full connection.

All works fine. Actually I just bought the app of Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer.

When I took my iPad and RP to my job thinking that I will be able to communicate through wireless because was setup before. My surprise was when the iPad doesn't have any network to join. Seems the RP doesn't propagate a network ID that the iPad could identify.
Question?
1) Theoretically I was set up the RP to communicate with my home network at home, and if this network is not available the RP should be able to communicate with the iPad using their server communication, isn't it?

I would like to use this RP in the field where is not common to have internet connection. I would like to use only as instrument in this case.
Or this system is not able to work without internet. I am doing something wrong or I am not understanding at full the RP environment.
Some advise? thanks.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Re: Stand alone system: RP and iPad/tablet

Post by redpitaya » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi,

So you have been able to set WIFI connection of the Red Pitaya
and your home network. Here you have set the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file according to the setting of your home network.
Now, if you want for Red Pitaya to connect to some other WiFi network you need
to set the "wpa_supplicant.conf" for that network (if it is not open).

But, if you want to use RP in the field, the best option is to use Access Point mode.
In this mode, the Red Pitaya will create its own WiFi network (you will see it in WiFi network list on your Ipad as "RedPitaya") on which you can connect to.
when you are successfully connected just start browser and input standard IP 192.168.128.1

More info here : http://redpitaya.com/quick-start/
under Direct Wireless connection

Best, RP

ipisco

Post by ipisco » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:01 pm

I tried to set up the Access Point that you suggested but I coulln't.
1) when I check myRP in the RP website the board have two hardcode settings:
LAN IP: 10.0.1.58 and WIFI IP : 10.01.57
2) This setting was hard code after connected to the internet, but when I disconnect the internet and try to connect the iPad with RP entering the IP 192.168.128.1 in the iPAD I could not communicate anymore.
Also the network setting in the IPad doesn't show anymore the Red Pitaya AP

note: I did all the process twice , and still I could not resolve the issue.
1) reformated the SD
2) install the latest stable software
3) I able to connect the RP with the iPad, but when I connect the RP to the internet through cable MyRP Lan and WIFI IP is hardcoded and doesn't comunicate with my iPad anymore.
any suggestions.
THanks

ipisco

Post by ipisco » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:19 am

The RP application doesn't work!
1) I tried a few times and the same problem! I can't make the RP works as stand alone!
2) when I deleted the board to install again from scratch following all the steps and now
when I enter the MAC address to create a new board created doesn't have the applications.
Tell me that the applications were unlocked but are not there.
When I try to enter the key tell that are invalid keyword......seems I lost my applications? ???
the report pop up that the keys are not recognized.
Well bottom line: Almost two weeks and I can't lunch the application, that cost me almost US500 !
What I am doing wrong?
My Mac address is:
00:26:32:F0:19:19
Some idea how I could resolve this problem?
Thanks.

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:57 am

Hi,

Regarding the Access Point issue, can you check your WIFI dongle.
http://redpitaya.com/faq-page/#QuickSta ... y-problems
http://redpitaya.com/faq-page/#Hardware ... -pitaya-os

I suggest that you: prepare SD card, connect RP to your router with LAN cable, start your RP (you where able to start RP with this connection before),
select desired app. and click Run. (if you have reload the SD card the apps. will show lock key but after clicking start button keys will go off.)
Here you can install some free apps. by clicking on "Get More apps."

Now, if you successfully have started RP, just
insert WiFi dongle in to USB connector, Unplug LAN cable, Restart RP TWO times,
go to your IPad, find Red Pitaya AP Wifi network, connect to it, input 192.168.128.1 in to browser and you should be able to run your RP.

Dongles LED will blink if the network is set up.

All Best, RP

ipisco

Post by ipisco » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 pm

Hi RP, still have so many problems with my RP.
But first I want to explain what I did because the results are different in both scenarios:
FIRST SCENARIO
1) Format the SD card and install the new image software .
2) Installing the WIFI dongle, SD card and then turn on the RP without connecting to the internet
3) In the iPad, using the set of internet connections login in Red Pitaya server and later I am able to
browse the menu of Red Pitaya Application with: IP 192.168.1.1
Conclusion: With this its show me that the WIFI dongle works! at least communicate through WiFi.
Later if added the wpa-supplicant.conf file to the SD card and I'm able to communicate with my Desktop
and I even added some new applications. But as soon in my App shows that I am comunicating with the RP with IP like 10.1.1.xx,
i lost my iPad connection.
SECOND SCENARIO
1) Format the SD card and install the new image software .
2) Installing the WIFI dongle, SD card (with wpa-supplicant.conf ) file and then turn on the RP connecting to the internet through cable
I was not able to communicate with my iPad ( all are in the same network)
Note : I try modify the config xxx files in the SD with a IP fix but without resolving the problem.

Conclusion: So far I was able to run the RP application in my Desktop but not in my iPad simultaneously.

I purchase this RP initially as OSCILLOSCOPE to work in the Field, but when I try to connect with a laptop in the field with no internet, I 'm not able to
communicate using SSH (Putty) with the IP 192.168.1.1, initiallly the intention was to use with the iPad.
In order to see the IP that is using I run cmd: arp -a , but a big letters of "no ARP entries found", the computer is old XP and might not have installed TCP/IP funcionalities.

Thank you for your patience, and hopefully one day the connection with the RP will be smoothly.
Seriously this unit is not for beginners as RP advertise! for sure
Thanks

redpitaya
Site Admin

Post by redpitaya » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:50 pm

Hi,

You can't have Access Point connection
and Wirelesses connection simultaneously.
They both use the same wifi dongle.

You can use AP and Cable connection simultaneously.
I.e you can have next option
- 1 & 3
- 2 & 3
Where 1,2,3 are types of connection described here.
http://redpitaya.com/quick-start/

So if you want to use AP mode on the field delete wpa-supplicant.conf from the SD card
and RP will go to AP mode.
Connect your tablet to "Red Pitaya AP" WiFI and use " 192.168.1.1 " IP
If you want to have RP connected to your home/local network without disenabling AP mode
you can use network connection.

Soon as you have wpa-supplicant.conf file on the SD card the AP mode is disabled and
RP will connect to your local network and you get some other IP.

Best RP

ipisco

Post by ipisco » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

RP support.
Thanks for your answers. The last email actually resolved my questions and problems.
Suggestions: Although the information was there in the help (Type of connection with the RP) was not really clear when you make some special or combination of cases.
My suggestions is to add in the help some examples of different cases of connections.
So far I started to using my RP.
Thanks again.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie