Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
f5hla

Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Post by f5hla » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:25 pm

hi,
just installed new 0.95, and try to add DLink 300N E1 version (DWA-131 with 2001:3319 with lsusb).

Found that...it is not loading : ie, lsmod shows nothing.
Tried to download realtek module and compile...found that lib/module does not exist.

Actually, this also forbid modprobe to work : modprobe rtl8192.cu results in error message not able to access /lib/modules/3.18.0-xilinx/modules.dep.bin (which indeed does not exist)

Tried apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)...does not exist (neither as generic).

help :) (I guess it has something to do with the distribution used, but I missed something in the provided doc...) thanks

Nils Roos

Re: Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:11 am

Hi,
I guess it has something to do with the distribution used, but I missed something in the provided doc...
The problem is that the kernel is built separately and in a way that breaks module support (missing lib/modules for one). I am currently trying to find out how to correct that.

The kernel is built with some custom patches, so I guess the modules from the debian distro are never going to work, but it should at least be possible to ship the kernel with all in-tree modules included and a working modprobe.

f5hla

Post by f5hla » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:24 am

Hi
thanks for the answer...so far, I observe what you guess.

It seems Pavel managed to include the 8192 driver : thus it must be possible to compile - maybe from the outside and not on the RP itself?

thanks for any tip anyway as I am sure embedding the headers would help :)
Regards

Nils Roos

Post by Nils Roos » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:47 am

It seems Pavel managed to include the 8192 driver : thus it must be possible to compile
When you set the needed components to 'y' in the kernel config, it's no problem to build specific modules into the kernel - it's just the generic approach with the distro modules and modprobe that doesn't work.

pavel

Post by pavel » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:05 am

Normally, modprobe works. What is missing is the /lib/modules/X.Y.Z-xilinx/kernel/drivers directory with all the modules.

I've once written some instructions for my bare metal test project on how to copy all the modules to the SD card:
https://github.com/pavel-demin/red-pita ... metal_test

f5hla

Post by f5hla » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:34 pm

hi
thanks for the reply.

About modprobe, it results in
>modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:557 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/3.18.0-xilinx/modules.dep.bin'
==> so back again to headers installation I guess...

About the link you provided : if I understand well, I need a dev machine where I install everything an compile again then I can copy, right? Is there anyway to do it directly on the RP (if this involves an 40GB+ SD card, it is not an option right? ;))

thanks
72++

pavel

Post by pavel » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:33 am

f5hla wrote: ==> so back again to headers installation I guess...
Normally, modprobe does not require any headers.
f5hla wrote: About the link you provided : if I understand well, I need a dev machine where I install everything an compile again then I can copy, right?
Yes, your understanding is correct. The commands from my instructions should be run on a development machine. The installation of the development machine is described at this link. The main advantage of this approach is that compilation runs much faster than on Red Pitaya.
f5hla wrote: Is there anyway to do it directly on the RP (if this involves an 40GB+ SD card, it is not an option right?
It'll take some time (hours). Make sure that your Red Pitaya is properly cooled during this time. Without an active cooling, it'll most probably overheat during the compilation.

You can try the following commands to build modules on Red Pitaya:

Code: Select all

wget https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/archive/xilinx-v2015.4.tar.gz
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pavel-demin/red-pitaya-notes/master/patches/linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4.patch
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pavel-demin/red-pitaya-notes/master/patches/linux-lantiq.c

tar -zxf xilinx-v2015.4.tar.gz
patch -p 0 < linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4.patch
cp linux-lantiq.c linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4/drivers/net/phy/lantiq.c

make -C linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4 mrproper
make -C linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4 ARCH=arm xilinx_zynq_defconfig
make -C linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4 ARCH=arm CFLAGS='-O2 -mtune=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard' UIMAGE_LOADADDR=0x8000 uImage
make -C linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4 ARCH=arm CFLAGS='-O2 -mtune=cortex-a9 -mfpu=neon -mfloat-abi=hard' modules

find linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.4/drivers -name \*.ko -printf '%P\0' | tar --null --directory=linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.1/drivers --files-from=- -zcvf drivers.tgz
cp linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.1/modules.order modules.order
cp linux-xlnx-xilinx-v2015.1/modules.builtin modules.builtin

f5hla

Post by f5hla » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:13 pm

hi Pavel, all
first, really thanks for the support.

Now, I tried to prepare modules and install - worked great...but still could not finish the install of the driver, there is always something missing in the "modules" directory.

So I tried a new approach - I restarted from scratch. :'(
then
- lsusb --> ok
- tried modprobe : of course, still nok (missing dir)
- lsmod : empty, so I tried to force module loading at startup (add rtl8192cu in /etc/modules): even after reboot, despite dmsg shows "usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8192cu", lsmod still shows an empty result ==> I am a little lost, it seems the directories from the redpitaya distribution may not be standard ones : is there any idea around here?

next steps : add echo "2001 3319" >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/rtl8192cu/new_id in /opt/redpitaya/etc/network/config
any idea welcomed

Regs

Standarduser

Post by Standarduser » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:01 pm

Any news here?
I want to use the Digitus DN-70440-1 with the RP and have the same problems with compiling the drivers.

pavel

Post by pavel » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:41 pm

I want to use the Digitus DN-70440-1 with the RP and have the same problems with compiling the drivers.
What is the chipset and USB ID?

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie