Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Just about everything about Red Pitaya
pavel

Re: Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Post by pavel » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Standarduser wrote:I think I will adjourn the WiFi plan until WiFi assistant is released and then give it a new try with your recommended chipset.
Seeing how Red Pitaya ecosystem has been evolving until now, I doubt that tl-wn722n will be supported by the Red Pitaya ecosystem anytime soon.
Standarduser wrote:BTW, is already a release date in sight?
If you're asking me, then I have no idea. I don't have any affiliation with the Red Pitaya company.
What is not clear is how the antenna is oriented when this adapter is connected to Red Pitaya.
I've just found a picture of the tl-wn722n adapter from the connector side:
http://www.austin.net.au/tp-link-tl-wn7 ... wirel.html

Looks like antenna is oriented upwards when the adapter is connected to Red Pitaya.

pavel

Re: Wifi with DWA-131 E1 dongle

Post by pavel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:55 pm

For information.

I've tested TL-WN722N with Red Pitaya and my Debian based image. Both access point and client modes work. The maximum transfer rates are around 48 Mbits/s (RX) and 36 Mbits/s (TX). My other WiFi adapters based on Realtek RTL8192CU and MediaTek/Ralink RT5370 chipsets show similar RX rates. However, Realtek RTL8192CU shows higher TX rates that are around 48 Mbits/s.

External antenna significantly improves wireless network range. With TL-WN722N, I still have around 12-16 Mbits/s where small WiFi adapters with internal antennas don't get any signal.

Switching from access point to client mode is as easy as replacing the content of /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0 with the following lines:

Code: Select all

allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
  wpa-ssid MYSSID
  wpa-psk MYPSKHASH
  wpa-group CCMP
Commands to restart wlan0 are:

Code: Select all

ifdown wlan0
ifup wlan0
When TL-WN722N is plugged directly into Red Pitaya it blocks access to the USB console connector. A workaround is to connect TL-WN722N via a short USB extension cable.

jadalnie klasyczne ekskluzywne meble wypoczynkowe do salonu ekskluzywne meble tapicerowane ekskluzywne meble do sypialni ekskluzywne meble włoskie